Informal imaging night 3/10 or 3/11?

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

lanmat

Informal imaging night 3/10 or 3/11?

Post by lanmat »

Hello all,
New MAS member here just starting to get into some more serious AP. I live in the west suburbs (Excelsior) and am getting frustrated by the annoying correlation that the clear nights are the bitterly cold ones too. So far, setting up @ home (by a busy road) has been the only option where there's little warning that it'll be clear for a few hours, and it helps there's a warm place when I lose feeling to my toes too. ;)

I'm trying to get some integration minutes on the Orion Nebula as a first go (before it disappears for the season), but it goes behind my house @ 10pm (too many trees in the backyard). It looks like possibly Sunday 3/10, more likely Monday 3/11 will be mostly clear all night and only in the 20s. I live ~30min from ELO, so I've had a hankering to try out this closer place in Minnewashta Regional Park (https://goo.gl/maps/Dm2rWJQYTTR2 ...it's where they start the Minnetonka Mud Run, if any of you have heard or done that). I scoped it out once and it's got a great view of the sky and since the park closes @ 10pm, there's no emergency lights to contend with.

I've heard some of you have had impromptu meetings @ Carver Park reserve (~15min drive for me) & was wondering what kind of protocol you've followed to be allowed in the park after 10? I have the # for the 3-rivers park administrator (Sam Perks), but thought I'd check here first if I need permission to use any "MAS authority" in my request.

Looking forward to a warmer imaging season!
Matt Lang
setnes

Re: Informal imaging night 3/10 or 3/11?

Post by setnes »

Welcome to the forums! It was nice meeting you the night of the lunar eclipse.

Suresh Sreenivasan can likely help you get on the Carver List. There is a forum post here that explains the process.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Just a warning - if you were thinking of heading out to ELO, we haven’t yet had a chance to remove snow from around the observatory buildings and of course more is on the way, so you would probably have to set up in the parking lot or on the driveway.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Dave-

Post by Dave- »

On Tuesday 13 March I removed snow around the classroom, the entry door to Onan and the plaza in front of Onan.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (340 Bytes) Viewed 604 times