Upcoming Messier Marathon April 5/6

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

Upcoming Messier Marathon April 5/6

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

The MAS Messier Marathon is scheduled for the Friday/Saturday of April 5th/6th at Cherry Grove.

At this moment, it is difficult to say whether the field will be ready. Stay tuned for updated information.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
Scooter

Re: Upcoming Messier Marathon April 5/6

Post by Scooter »

I was wondering if there's any updates on the field? I only ask because there is a scheduled star party this weekend I would like to know before I attempt to go down there.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Updates are posted in the Cherry Grove Observatory Discussions section. Word there is that the driveway is still too soft and wet to drive on as of yesterday. But with another few days of dry weather, hopefully it will improve by this weekend.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

In a recent email conversation with Vic, he said that the snow had disappeared more quickly than he expected, but that the driveway and the field are still very soft. We won't know if the MM will be on until sometime in the middle of next week.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Scooter wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:08 pm I was wondering if there's any updates on the field? I only ask because there is a scheduled star party this weekend I would like to know before I attempt to go down there.
Regarding this coming weekend, I’d post in the Cherry Grove forum asking if anyone else is planning on going. If you do go, be prepared to park on the road and carry your stuff in.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Sounds good and thanks for the info.
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

I just checked with Vic on the condition of the field at CGO for this weekend's star party. He said it is out of the question to use the parking lot. Depending upon the weather conditions, the field might be slippery if it is cold and windy.

So,if you DO go, please do NOT park in the parking lot and be careful using the field.

Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Huggy

Post by Huggy »

I hate Minnesota weather! This state sucks for Astronomy. Photon deprivation depression is a real condition.
LLCC Committee Chair
Key Holder - All
Primary gear: :D
20" F4 DOB Galaxy Mirror
C-11 Hyperstar and CGX-L
ZWO ASIair Pro 294C cooled
25x100 Bino
kenhugill@comcast.net
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Huggy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:52 pm I hate Minnesota weather! This state sucks for Astronomy. Photon deprivation depression is a real condition.
Remember, we’ve got another week for things to firm up for the actual marathon. 🙂
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

The 2019 Messier Marathon is scheduled for this upcoming weekend. I have not yet heard any additional information regarding the conditions of the field or the parking lot at CGO, but the extended forecast is not looking wonderful. However, it is too soon to give up hope!

For those of you who want to begin to prepare, please check out the info on our Messier Marathon page: http://www.mnastro.org/messier-marathon/

There you will find a suggested downloadable log, including telrad maps and other Messier Marathon materials. A bit of preparation is always a good thing when attempting to do one of these crazy nights.

I will post again as the time gets nearer. The official GO/NO GO will be posted on the front of the web page before 4:00 pm on Friday.

Here's to clear skies!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Additional info: Brandon Hamil feels fairly confident that the field and parking lot will be in good shape for the MM this coming weekend.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

The weather is looking pretty lousy for tonight and tomorrow night. But, just in case something happens, I won't make the official call until after 12:00 noon today. It will be posted here as well as on the front page of the website.
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
jjones7777

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

This is one of those rare moments where all of the forecast models agree: it's gonna be cloudy both tonight and tomorrow night.

The Messier Marathon is OFFICIALLY CANCELLED for this weekend. If you desire, you are still free to observe at CGO, but there will be no organized star party.

The Virgo Venture is scheduled for May 3/4. We will be combining the Messier Marathon with the Virgo Venture for those who desire to do so.

Clear Skies - some day!!!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair