Help with old Japanese telescope

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Jmwhit86

Help with old Japanese telescope

Post by Jmwhit86 »

Hello,
I was given this old telescope by my dad. It seems to be in great shape but he mentioned there may be a lens missing. Perhaps a sun filter lens or something. It’s a beautiful piece I would just like to get it working properly! I have no knowledge about telescopes. I do have the original manual as well! Does anybody know anything about this telescope or have any advice/suggestions for me? I’ve attached 4 photos. Thanks much!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clayton

Re: Help with old Japanese telescope

Post by clayton »

Hello Jacob

The Scope in the photo looks in good condition from the outside. A Scope of that vintage is usually scratched and shows a few rough spots. I do not recognize the scope from seeing an exact example but the Scope does not appear to be the Tak Epsilon 130 in the 2nd Photo. It appears to me to be a Jason 328 4 1/2 inch Reflector given it has the pick off finder with a flip down mirror. A photo from the the front to the telescope should reveal an optical window with some writing on it that will help with the identification. The eyepiece Focusing Tube would normally have a manufacturers name. In the photo it does not appear to have a label. If its a Tak Epsilon it would be a much better quality telescope. But I would not get my hopes up. This form factor has be replicated by several manufacturers but the optical designs differ and the quality of the scope very considerably.

My Identification is based on:
A search google images for Jason 328
https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/2354 ... t-catcher/

The missing part is maybe an missing eyepiece. The photo does not show one. Without an eyepiece you will not see an image through the telescope.

I believe this telescope uses .965" diameter eyepieces. An odd size today as the standard is 1.25" diameter eyepieces for small scopes. Quality .965 eyepieces are hard to find. You may have to buy used. However I would not buy anything until you let someone in the club look it over. You can bring it to the next General Meeting Thursday March 7)for a quick hands-on identification. I will be there and many more telescope owners. Just the Tube and accessories. Leave the Tripod at home if you do not want to haul it around. Or try more photos.

Too learn how to use this telescopes bring it too a Beginners Special interest Group observing session: See BSIG Forum. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10702

Or you can watch some videos at https://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Re ... goryId=339. The scope is similar except for the finder.

I am moving this post to the BSIG Forum as this topic fits better there. You'll get more people viewing the topic there.

Regards
Clayton Lindsey
farroutman2003

Post by farroutman2003 »

it looks like the paper is part of a catalog or book. perhaps there's mention of the actual scope somewhere else on those pages if they were packaged with the telescope itself. The takahashi mention is clearly an advertisement.
Dale Eason

Post by Dale Eason »

I'm late to this post. But if you want you can contact me and I will look at it and tell you about it. I live in Roseville. It does not look exactly the same as the paper advertisment but It might be related. It probably has a mirror at the bottom and maybe a glass lens over the opening at the front. It looks to me like it is missing an eyepiece but has what is called a barlow lens in the eyepiece holder. That is used to get more magnification. The eyepiece if there is one is what you put into the eyepiece focuser and look through.

Reply to this post to contact me if you care to.

Dale Eason
Dale Eason