Pets at observing sites and facilities

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

allantokuda

Pets at observing sites and facilities

Post by allantokuda »

Which MAS observing sites and facilities allow dogs? (Even if only outdoors?) And do the rules differ at all for star parties? My wife and I would like to attend some events and would like a way to bring our dog with us so we can stay longer. We would certainly keep tidy, and would keep our dog well away from any equipment that is set up.
merle

Re: Pets at observing sites and facilities

Post by merle »

Our star party guidelines address this: http://oldsite.mnastro.org/MASstarparti ... elines.pdf

14. Please CONSIDER LEAVING YOUR PETS AT HOME. Not everyone is comfortable around animals and their presence introduces the possibility of personal injury or damage to expensive astronomical equipment.

That being noted, we have had many times when people have had their pets at the Eagle Lake Observatory during a public star party. As long as they are "well behaved" and "cleaned up after", I see no problem.

Merle Hiltner
Minnesota Astronomical Society
Eagle Lake Observatory Facility Director
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
SEmert

Re: Pets at observing sites and facilities

Post by SEmert »

I especially would like to reinforce that pet droppings must be picked up and disposed of immediately. It's dark at star parties (obviously), and all but impossible to see and avoid dog poop in the dark. We have had that experience at CGO occasionally and it's not fun.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount