Apollo 11 Movie

Forum for the discussion of astronomy books, magazines, movies, documentaries, web videos, astronomy apps, etc.

Moderator: Lilah

SEmert

Apollo 11 Movie

Post by SEmert »

I went to the new Apollo 11 Imax documentary yesterday at the AMC Imax Rosedale. Wholeheartedly recommend it! If you have an inclination to go, do it soon as I suspect it won't be around long. I went to the 2:30 PM show and there were all of eight of us in the theater.

The 70mm film for major parts of it are exceptional, and they did a good job in use of classical 16mm shots and TV that we've seen before. But it was nice in that is much film that hasn't been previously seen widely, and even the iconic sequences avoid use of the same images we've seen over and over.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
RLiebeg

Re: Apollo 11 Movie

Post by RLiebeg »

Sounds like a good thing to go see!

I found a website that lets you watch the Apollo 17 in realtime. This is from launch to landing. It will even let you scroll ahead in the timeline to only watch what you want!

http://apollo17.org/

Rod
Orange tube C8 & C5
Mayflower/Towa 339 80mmx1200mm
Meade LX50 10" on a LX200 classic forks with Deluxe Autostar Upgrade
Unitron 114
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

Well as the saying goes ... you snooze, you lose. No current IMAX showings in the metro. :( Guess I'll settle for a boring old digital showing this weekend.
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Got to see it last week in Rosedale. HIGHLY recommend!!

It is coming out in general release this May.

Apparently, much of this footage was shot on 65 mm Panovision (large format film) for a planned MGM movie called "Moon Walk One", covering Apollo 8 to Apollo 13. It was released in 1972, but people were pretty much done with Apollo, by that time.

The quality is amazing, the editing compelling, and the sound track is thunderous! No crappy Hollywood shenanigans, like "First Man". No acting. No narration. No manufactured drama. The story is told through the people living it, and the interviews and TV reporters, just like when it was actually happening. Real people. Real coverage. Real story. One of the greatest stories ever told.
merle

Post by merle »

Saw this last night. They did a great job showing what it was like being there, not just re-airing the tv broadcast, but behind the scenes.

I liked the on screen info of velocity & altitude. Surprising how slow they were going when orbiting the moon.

The "film" looked great and had a lot of scenes that were new to me.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

Just got word that a modified version of this film is coming to the Science Museum of Minnesota. It's called "Apollo 11: First Steps Edition". Opening May 18.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Did anyone see the SMM version?
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org