Winter Reading

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Dave Olmstead

Winter Reading

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Time to settle in for some winter reading. I seem to be on a Chet Raymo kick here. I have three of his books to keep me busy: "The Soul of the Night", "365 Starry Nights" and "Natural Prayers" which is an interesting book about how he finds a spiritual connection, from a science perspective, with the bountiful nuances of the natural world. Chet has an amazing way of writing about the universe - almost poetic. So I am grabbing a blanket and cozying up to my new books.

What is everyone else reading these days? Any good picks for additional winter reading?

Dave
David Olmstead
One of the Scope Wranglers
david@davidolmstead.com
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

well, I've been reading my stars and galaxies book that I've got from thee 4M prise.
Bill Bynum

Post by Bill Bynum »

I am a pretty voratious reader but here's the current stuff I'm working through.

The New CCD Astronomy, The Salmon of Doubt, The Most of P.G. Wodehouse

Dava Sobel's "Longitude" is on deck.

Bill
Bill Bynum

Winter Reading

Post by Guest »

I'm a fan of Wodehouse...pretty much have read only the Jeeves and Wooster series though. Bill, have you read any of the Dirk Gently novels... I assume you have if you are reading "Salmon of Doubt."

I just started reading Carl Sagan "The Demon-Haunted World/Science as a Candle in the Dark".

I've just finished a very strange book(non-fiction supposedly) called "Cosmic Trigger: The Final Secret of the Illumaniti" , not the type of book I normally read but was looking for something "outside the box" and boy did I get it. The friend who loaned it to me also gave me a Carlos Castaneda book and a Timothy Leary book. Funny, they all smell of incense...

Also just ordered an astronomy book by Dr. Clay Sherrod "A Complete Manual of Amateur Astronomy."

I just might try "Longitude" looks interesting.

Currently looking for something new...

Bob
Bill Bynum

Post by Bill Bynum »

Yep. Good series, tragically cut short.

As far as non-Wooster Wodehouse goes, try Mr. Psmith, and any of the Blandings or Drones stories. Whatever his personal shortcomings, he was a writing genius. The mind that came up with "she was as curious a young shrimp as ever wore a windswept hairdo." really, just goes beyond the p.
Bill Bynum
Starforce2

Re: Winter Reading

Post by Starforce2 »

rjs wrote:
Also just ordered an astronomy book by Dr. Clay Sherrod "A Complete Manual of Amateur Astronomy."
let me know if it's good.
Dave Olmstead

Post by Dave Olmstead »

Sounds like a great selection of books on everyones's plates. Longitude is a good one. Back to my electric blankie and my Chet Raymo book! Brrrrr!
Dave
David Olmstead
One of the Scope Wranglers
david@davidolmstead.com
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

"Longitude" is a very good book. Currently, I'm reading "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman. My boss lent it to me. It's not the kind of book I would normally pick out, but I'm really enjoying it.

I am also trying to pick away at "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire", because I'm trying to get some historical perspective for another hobby I'm involved in, but this giant tome is positively coma-inducing. Great cure for insomnia.
Eagle Lake Observatory Keyholder

Post by Guest »

Winter changes to summer and I'm still reading...just outside now!

Finished Longitude and enjoyed it immensely.

Also read Seeing in the Dark which was quite a fun read, a great mix of the science and aesthetic of amateur astronomy...I finished it while I was on a trip to Arizona where I ran into David and Wendy Levy and stayed at the Arizona Sky Village...

Just about to finish Stargazer which is about the history of the telescope somewhat similar in style to Longitude...lots of good info about the personalities, coincidences, and ups and downs of the developing telescope. Pretty much couldn't have happened without amateurs I might add!

I just received a copy of Bruce Campbell's Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way. He also wrote If Chins Could Kill. Perhaps some of you are familiar with his work?

Bob Seabold
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

Oh yeah! I don't really rent too much in the way of B-grade horror-camp, but on the recommendation of a friend, I saw "Bubba Hotep" and nearly died laughing. Of course, Ossie Davis was very good too, as the senile JFK wanna-be. :)

Goofy stuff.
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

Oh... I put "Decline and Fall" back on the shelf; turns out that I didn't need that much extra sleep. :)

I am now in the midst of "Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed" by one of my favorite authors, Jared Diamond. I'm just on the second chapter, but I can tell it will be another winner.

Dr. Diamond is also the author of one of my favorite books on social evolution and history, "Guns, Germs and Steel," which won a Pulitzer Prize. In a nutshell, this book is about why some societies have become wealthy and powerful and why others didn't. While not without a few flaws, the book discusses some of the key elements of what human societies need to establish themselves and spread out.

"Collapse" is sort of the flip side of GG&S. It focuses on the reason that certain societies became established and/or powerful and failed to stay that way. It also discusses a few others that declined (or were on the verge of economic and/or environmental decline) and how they turned the tide. In particular, this work focuses on the Maya of Central America, the Norse in Greenland, Iceland, Japan, a remote island of Papua New Guinea, the Minoans of Crete, Easter Island and Montana, USA.
wkocken

Summer Reading

Post by wkocken »

Jackie,
That sounds like pretty heavy stuff. Maybe you should change your avatar from Geek to Erudite.
Bill
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Buzzygirl

Re: Summer Reading

Post by Buzzygirl »

wkocken wrote:Jackie,
That sounds like pretty heavy stuff. Maybe you should change your avatar from Geek to Erudite.
Bill
Heh. If you only knew the boundless depths to which my cultural tastes have been known to sink... :P

Post by Guest »

I see that Guns, Germs and Steel is on the cover of this months TPT Guide...Haven't checked between the covers yet but did they make a doc of it?

I will have to add that book to the list...

Another addition to the list is some Jules Verne...I just read an interesting article in the Smithsonian about his books, its the 100th anniversary of his death. Seems as though they are a lot headier than the film version of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea...sans Gertrude the Goose...

Bob
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

rjs wrote:I see that Guns, Germs and Steel is on the cover of this months TPT Guide...Haven't checked between the covers yet but did they make a doc of it?
Hm, not that I know of, but then again I don't watch television much so I don't generally know what's on.

Jules Verne was way ahead of his time!
Chautauqua

Winter Readings

Post by Chautauqua »

I'm reading Gravity's Rainbow for the fourth time. Honestly, I don't know why I do this to myself. It's not about astronomy, by the way, so don't be misled.
Glenn Lee
Northfield, MN

Orion 20 X 80 mm binoculars and a
well-practiced squint.
Ron Schmit

Guns Germs and Steel

Post by Ron Schmit »

Highly recommend Guns, Germs, and Steel. Not astro, but an excellent look at the cultures of the world - the ones that thrive and the ones that don't survive - and why one fits into one catagory and not the other. We disscussed this book just last Saturday while out at Onan. REALLY provides some good insight into all the parts that make up civilization.
Buzzygirl

Post by Buzzygirl »

Ron: If you liked Guns Germs & Steel, check out "Collapse" as well. I'm finding it to be equally fascinating.