September B-SIG Observing Session -- Fri. Sept. 13th -- 7:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

September B-SIG Observing Session -- Fri. Sept. 13th -- 7:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

Based on the current forecasts, Friday night will be clear by around dusk, while Saturday will be cloudy. So I've decided to switch the upcoming B-SIG to Friday night Sept. 13th. It will start at 7:00pm at Metcalf Nature Center (sunset is at 7:27pm that night).

There is no charge to attend a B-SIG event, and everyone is welcome to join us! The purpose is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions and to show you celestial objects thru their telescopes.

We typically have 40-60 attendees, with telescopes of all shapes and sizes on hand. If you have a telescope, feel free to bring it. If you need help with learning how to set up and use it, we are happy to help! Otherwise, we'll have plenty of 'scopes available for you to look through.

The Moon will be nearly Full this night. Still, during the evening there will be many objects well placed for viewing, including Jupiter, Saturn and a myriad of Summer Milky Way objects.

If you'd like to join us, please bring a lawn chair or blanket. Also, bring a few extra clothing layers, as temps can dip at night. Finally, please bring a snack or beverage to share. It makes for a fun night! :D

Directions to Metcalf: (see this Google Maps link): https://goo.gl/maps/UNkt67YPWg4qAjuP6

GPS Coordinates: 44.93734 N / 92.82157 W

Head east on I-94 to the Manning exit (exit 253). Turn south and then take the first left onto Hudson Road S. Continue east about 1.5 miles and turn right onto Indian Trail. Check your odometer here, and then travel 1.1 miles. You'll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right side. This is the entrance to Metcalf field. Enter the dirt path and park on the left side. If you have a telescope with you, you can also park on the north side (on the right.

If you haven't been to Metcalf, it can be a little difficult to locate the entrance in the dark. So please plan on arriving in daylight.

As of now, the weather forecast calls for clear skies on Saturday night, with comfortable temps in the upper 50s.

Please check this post for any further updates, or e-mail me at: sureshks1@msn.com.

We hope to see you there!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Michael Kauper

Re: September B-SIG Observing Session -- Saturday Sept. 14th -- 6:30pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Michael Kauper »

Hi, Suresh;

This is Michael Kauper.
Using Clear Outside, I see that Friday will be clearing after about 9:00 PM, no chance of rain.
Saturday will be 100% cloudy until mid-night, some chance of rain.

Switch to Friday?

Michael Kauper
612-483-0298
childcareguy47@yahoo.com
clayton

Re: September B-SIG Observing Session -- Fri. Sept. 13th -- 7:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by clayton »

Michael -- Suresh Changed it.
Clayton Lindsey
setnes

Re: September B-SIG Observing Session -- Fri. Sept. 13th -- 7:00pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by setnes »

The clouds were frustrating, but it did eventually clear very nicely. We talked about equipment a lot between sucker holes. :)

Here is a video of the clouds, the late clearing, and the Harvest moon.

The NOAA graph forecast seemed to have the best fit this time.
Steve Baranski

Post by Steve Baranski »

Very nice timelapse, Kris . That is great balance of the dusk to moonlight.....
DahnGee

Post by DahnGee »

That's great Kris

I love how moonlight pictures look like daylight... the moon really is reflected sunlight :)

Oh, and I have to laugh at the red flashlights with the moon lighting the field looking like it's as bright as day.
Don Gazdik
setnes

Post by setnes »

Thanks guys. Yes, the moon is bright, but the field is certainly darker than the video makes it appear. The red lights are helpful... but... probably not necessary.

I wish I had put the camera in a better spot to show the field. I had assumed we might have a few more people show up to fill in the space in front of the camera. I might try putting the camera on top of the car at one of these events next year... just need to remember not to drive away with it still up there. Although... that would probably be a fun time-lapse as well. :)