Transit of Mercury - Monday (AM) November 11. 2019

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
petemn2004

Transit of Mercury - Monday (AM) November 11. 2019

Post by petemn2004 »

A week from today the planet Mercury will transit the sun on Monday November 11, 2019. This will be the last transit of Mercury that will potentially be visible from Minnesota until the year 2049.

The transit is a long one, almost across the the center of the sun. It will be "on" the sun at sunrise as viewed from Minnesota. Closest to the sun's center at 9:20 AM CST and leaves the sun's surface at 12:04 PM CST.

Now if the clouds stay away.

Mark Petersen
petemn2004

Re: Transit of Mercury - Monday (AM) November 11. 2019

Post by petemn2004 »

Correction: 6 days from today. This coming Monday.
markjob

Post by markjob »

Thanks for those details.

Mark
merle

Post by merle »

ELO will be open for the transit as well as many other sites as part of the Statewide Star Party. Links to the Statewide events are on the MAS home page at www.mnastro.org

Merle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
setnes

Post by setnes »

I have been asked to provide a weather report for the Mercury transit on Monday, so here it goes.

The surface of the sun will be about 9,941 °F.  The corona, for some reason, will be much, much hotter than that.  It could be nearly 9,000,000 °F.  The core, where Hydrogen fusion is currently occurring, will be even hotter at 28,000,000 °F.

Meanwhile, on Mercury, I predict a very clear sky.  If you want to be facing Earth however, you better pack your booties.  It's gonna be cold.  The nighttime side of Mercury gets to -280 °F.  If you're really daring, you'd choose to be on the daytime side of Mercury.  The temperature on that side gets all the way up to 800 °F.  If you found the perfect temperature somewhere between those extremes, you actually might be able to keep up with it.  A solar day on Mercury (176 Earth days) lasts longer than its orbit around the sun (87.97 Earth days).  Even at Mercury's equator you would be able to walk along with the day-to-night transition at about 2.255 miles per hour. You might not want to stay all day though. The circumference of Mercury is about 9525 miles.

Back on Earth, at Eagle Lake Observatory, NOAA is predicting a chilly morning with clouds, but there is hope.  Canada is predicting a clear morning after sunrise.  Both of these forecasts are still long term, 10-day, models.  Hopefully we'll see more clear sky in the forecast as the week progresses.  Keep in mind the Mercury transit is a long event.  Hopefully we'll have clear sky for at least part of it.

Also, stop asking me for weather reports this far out. :)
petemn2004

Post by petemn2004 »

The weather predictions I have seen for tomorrow mornings transit look promising.
rdavidjohnson63

Post by rdavidjohnson63 »

I was in Pioneer Park in Little Canada and managed to get images starting about 8:45 am through the rest of the event. I was shooting every 15 seconds. I am working to create a GIF of about 10% of the images but I had tracking issues, so I am working to get them all aligned.

I don't have PixInsight and cannot justify getting it just yet. Any suggestions for free Windows or Linux software to do this would be greatly appreciated.
Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Mentor - JJC
Celestron CPC 925
Celestron 8SE
Celestron CGEM II mount
Stellarvue SV105
Lunt LS60T Ha w/Sky-Watcher - SolarQuest Alt-Azimuth Solar Mount
Astro-Tech AT102ED
ZWO - ASI294MC Pro