been browsing orions website, and is any of this stuff...

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Starforce2

been browsing orions website, and is any of this stuff...

Post by Starforce2 »

worth beans?

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/produ ... oductID=98

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/produ ... ductID=103

and maybe these:
http://www.telescope.com/shopping/produ ... ductID=212

Also, what exactly is the difference between a 25mm plossel for example in 1.25" and a 2" of the same eyepeice?
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

I bought a SkyGlow broadband filter several years ago, used it maybe once or twice, didn't find it very useful. From what I've read, narrowband filters are probably more useful, particularly on emission nebulae that emit most of their light in one wavelength.
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

I have the broadband filter and, like Dick, rarely use it. I also have the ultra block filter and rarely use that one also.

I have one of the ED eyepieces (a 3.7mm) and it is, in my opinion, worthless. Their Plossi's are also not good - at least for me because I can't see anything through them wearing eyeglasses.

On the other hand, I have a 14mm lanthanum that I use all the time. I think the lanthanums, although not equal to televue, are a great buy. Especially at the current sale price.

I'm not trying to downgrade Orion. I have a lot of their stuff and most of it is pretty good and affordable, such as the lanthanum eyepieces.

Anyone else?
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

I, too, have both filters and find that I use the ultrablock far more than the broadband. Mainly because I bought the SCT version of it, and I can leave it on all night long without having to change it over from eyepiece to eyepiece! It does tend to help increase contrast, especially on the faintest objects. I don't like it when I'm trying to take pictures, tho.
Jon Hickman
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

rbubany wrote:I have one of the ED eyepieces (a 3.7mm) and it is, in my opinion, worthless. Their Plossi's are also not good - at least for me because I can't see anything through them wearing eyeglasses.
I own a number of Sirius Plossls and consider them a good value.

While the shorter focal lengths aren't 'eyeglass friendly', the medium to long f.l.'s aren't that bad. Optically they are good eyepieces -- nice contrast and detail, little distortion at the edge of field. Rubber eyecups are standard, a feature I like.

I'd recommend them for all entry-level users who want to acquire a nice range of f.l.'s without spending a lot of money.

If you've got a little extra money to spend, AND you can catch them on sale, the Highlight line of Plossls (the next step up in quality) are an excellent eyepiece. Better coatings and a recessed set screw capture ring are nice. Only 'beef' is that the barrel surface around the exit pupil isn't black, it's more more of a dark silver or gray. I find this distracting when observing under suburban skies -- there's enough light that the barrel surface can become noticeable when observing without the eyecup in position (using short f.l. eyepieces without eyeglasses, for example).

I've a full set of Sirius eyepieces for my 'grab and go' scope (ShortTube 80 refractor), and invested in the Highlights for my 'lug and go' scope (C8). Have been pleased with both investments...

Regarding the Lanthanum's that Ron mentioned -- we have several in use at Onan. As an eyeglass wearer I love them! If you're out there some night and the observatory is open, grab a keyholder and try them out.