2-22-20 Wall Street Journal article: Zodiac Sign

Forum for the discussion of astronomy books, magazines, movies, documentaries, web videos, astronomy apps, etc.

Moderator: Lilah

bhamil

2-22-20 Wall Street Journal article: Zodiac Sign

Post by bhamil »

I tend to get annoyed when people confuse our wonderful astronomy hobby to that of astrology. Today's WSJ had an article titled: "Your Zodiac Sign Isn't Aligned with Stars." I was very relieved to read this as I thought the planets were controlling my life! :-) As most of us know, because of Earth's precession, the planets no longer align with the constellations of the zodiac on the dates that were established in ancient times. Currently, the sun is passing through the constellations about a month later than when the horoscopes were established. They even interviewed several professional astronomers who clearly wanted nothing to do with astrology. Anyway, the dates of the horoscopes were correct 2,000 years ago and they will be correct again in another 24,000 years. Perhaps just tell that to someone the next time they ask you for your sign.

You are welcome to send me a text if any of you want a copy of this article and are unable to locate it.
Brandon Hamil
651-436-3888 (Cell)
--------------------------------------------
Former,Cherry Grove Observatory Committee
SCTs: CPC 800, CPC 1100, C14
Refractors: TeleVue NP101, TEC 140
Solar Scopes: Coronado 40mm PST, LUNT 100 DS
Canon 12x36 image stabilized Binoculars
100% visual observer
SEmert

Re: 2-22-20 Wall Street Journal article: Zodiac Sign

Post by SEmert »

And to think this astounding revelation was started by none other than our own Parke Kunkle.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Deane Clark

Re: 2-22-20 Wall Street Journal article: Zodiac Sign

Post by Deane Clark »

That’s the first thing I thought of Steve 😀
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org