MAS Video Conference Test

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

clayton

MAS Video Conference Test

Post by clayton »

It's short notice but if you are free at 7pm tonight I am running a video conferencing test for MAS using Google Hangouts Meet. We can connect upto 250 people but I would like to see how well it runs with maybe 50+ participants so join if you can.

It may be possible with a good results that we could have a few online events in the future while we are practicing social distancing.

It works in Chrome well but I am interested in hearing feedback from users using other browsers.
Requirements are here:
https://support.google.com/meet/answer/7317473?hl=en

It does not support IE you will need:
Chrome Browser. Download the latest version
Mozilla® Firefox®. Download the latest version
Microsoft® Edge®. Download the latest version
Apple® Safari®.

MAS Video Conference Test.

When Sat Mar 28, 2020 7pm – 7:30pm Central Time - Chicago
Joining info Join Hangouts Meet https://meet.google.com/vts-syeu-ucs

Tentative Agenda
7:00 open Conference for joining
7:05 Start Test Video Lecture
Tentative topic Comet C/2019 Y4 (ATLAS) Intro , Do not expect much content just testing the Video Conference capabilities
7:15 End Test Lecture at 7:15
7:15 to 7:30 Q&A /chat?

Thanks!
Clayton Lindsey
clayton

Re: MAS Video Conference Test

Post by clayton »

The meeting experiment was OK but not great. We had 17 people or so. Some tried multiple connections to help get a load test. The synopsis is for some users the experience was fairly good but for maybe 5 users the experience was fairly slow. It followed obvious lines:A user in WI at the end of a slower connection experienced only fair performance. Others in the Metro that also had slower connections also saw less fluid video. Those of us on broadband had good performance but not always stellar. There was one potential guest that never made it into the meeting.

We were using the standard Meeting setup that has everyone available to connect video and voice. All participants can chat or present. This does create some line 'noise". There is a Live Streaming setting that minimizes this issue as it allows for view only participants. These view-only participants are hidden from other view-only participants and cannot interact. This mode may make a more fluid presentation if we have many viewers.

I need to experiment with this setting to confirm if non MAS G-Suite guests can get to this event. It's unfortunately not a mode that is switchable on the fly. I don't think audience Q&A will be possible with Streaming.

I will schedule another test at 4:00pm today giving others to see and experience the tools currently under test. Connections details to follow later today if anyone wants to join. Check back or watch for listserv emails.
Clayton Lindsey
clayton

Re: MAS Video Conference Test

Post by clayton »

Video Conference test 2 4pm
For those that may have missed yesterday and just want to try the application.
Join Hangouts Meet
https://meet.google.com/nim-eyqv-ybb
Clayton Lindsey