Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

ktboundary

Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ

Post by ktboundary »

I'd like to buy a telescope as a beginner user, intermediate night-sky observer. I want something I can learn the basics with before buying something like an 8" SCT later on. Do any of you know about or recommend the Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ? It's apparently easy to set up - we want to take it camping next month. It looks like the lens kit will be a necessary purchase as well.
Nicole Lindell
JJC Keyholder

Earth & Space Science, Meteorology, Astronomy
Forest Lake Area High School

Celestron Omni XLT 150
SEmert

Re: Celestron AstroMaster 130EQ

Post by SEmert »

In general, 5" f/5 Newtonians aren't bad starter scopes. I've never touched this particular model, but in looking at ads and reviews, I see a couple concerns. The EQ3 equatorial mount is pretty light which means it's sort of shaky and it will take time for views to settle down after touching or adjusting it. For starting out, GEQ mounts can be confusing, and remember you'll need to rotate the optical tube to put the focuser in the right position when you view different parts of the sky. You can get a feel for pointing GEQ mounts using the animation at www.astronomyboy.com http://astronomyboy.com/eq/

One nice thing about it is it has a nice dovetail mount for the rings to mount the OTA to the mount. My first scope was an Orion 130ST-EQ which has a similar OTA and similar mount, but the scope's mounting rings had to be screwed to the mount which was a bit more cumbersome than this one's dovetail will be.

The reviews aren't kind to the "erecting image" 20mm eyepiece. A good 25, 20 or 17mm Plossl would go a long way in working better with this scope. I found the most often used eyepiece with my 130ST-EQ was a 17mm Celestron Plossl.

Here is the link to a pretty decent review on Cloudy Nights: https://www.cloudynights.com/articles/c ... view-r2406

Would you consider looking at the Astronomers Without Borders OneSky? It's an inexpensive Dob design, same aperture and focal length but with a collapsible tube to take up less space during storage and transit, and is lower cost. A couple other MAS members have them and like them. https://shop.astronomerswithoutborders. ... -telescope

For more comments and opinions on starter scopes, take a look at my BSIG presentation from last February. You can download it from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11473
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
ktboundary

Post by ktboundary »

Thank you so much, Steve! I watched your presentation earlier today. After further research on the mount, I decided the Celestron Omni XLT 150 would be a better purchase. I have a slew of accessories in mind to purchase with it: collimation eyepiece, motor drive, Celestron's Starpointer finder scope, vibration suppression pads (wondering if these are necessary), polar axis finder, and eyepiece kit. The eyepiece kit comes with a 17 mm Plossl, so that's good. Plus, I will purchase some adapters for my Nikon D3100.

I'll take a look at the OneSky. I would like to own a Dob, maybe my second telescope purchase. :D

Thanks again for your response! Your presentation was very helpful, as well. Whatever I end up with, it will be coming along to some MAS observing nights in the future.
Nicole Lindell
JJC Keyholder

Celestron Omni XLT 150
rdavidjohnson63

Post by rdavidjohnson63 »

I use my Nikon D5100 for astrophotograhy today. I use this on my fork mount SCT, my single arm SCT as well as my CGEM mounted SCT and refractors.

The issue with the included mount is how heavy these cameras are. They work OK on fork and beefier EQ mounts however they might be too much for the included low end EQ mount with a Newtonian scope. I looked and cannot find specs on the maximum payload the mount supports. It does say it comes with 7 and 4 lb counter weights. One might assume that translates to a max of 11lb. From what I have been told, as you pass 1/2 the max, you start loading the drive gears/motors and can run into issues with accurate tracking.

I don't want to scare you away from this scope or trying astrophotography, I just want to be cautious. If you add the camera, balance the setup, and the scope slews a lot slower than normal, that is an indication the total load might be too much for the mount.
Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Mentor - JJC
Celestron CPC 925
Celestron 8SE
Celestron CGEM II mount
Stellarvue SV105
Lunt LS60T Ha w/Sky-Watcher - SolarQuest Alt-Azimuth Solar Mount
Astro-Tech AT102ED
ZWO - ASI294MC Pro
tugger

Post by tugger »

If you're going to attach a camera, you're going to want an EQ mount. The AVX is a good starter EQ mount. Even the CGEM would be better for more payload and stability depending on the scope you get. I wouldn't put much more than an 80mm refractor, guider and DSLR on an AVX. When you get your mount, let me know and I'll show you the software you need and how to get it all working.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

I agree the AVX is a good computerized GEQ mount for lighter loads (I do like mine), but c'mon guys, don't scare her off by insisting she spends over $1000 right away! The Omni XLT 150 does have a GEQ mount. It's just a CG-4 mount, but it is a decent mount for starting out if your initial objective is primarily visual observing with maybe a few casual planetary shots (i.e., very short exposures) with a DSLR with an adapter to the focuser.

By the way Nicole on your list of accessories, I'd think of skipping the vibration pads as I'm not sure how much they'd help a CG-4 mount (hold off until/if you decide to go with a more astro photography oriented setup like Dave and Robert are suggesting) (someone interject if you have a different opinion and feel the pads will really help), and maybe not even get the motor drive. I pulled down the manual for the dual-axis motor drive for the CG-4 ( https://s3.amazonaws.com/celestron-site ... _drive.pdf ) and I see the controller only controls tracking motion using the buttons. To slew the scope to a different object you need to disengage the drive clutch. So, kind of putzy. It's useful if you are going to try short (30 second, maybe one minute) exposures, but for visual it may be just as easy to twist the RA and Dec fine control knobs.

Also, the polar axis finder is of limited use if you are going to use it just for visual observing. For that, only a rough polar alignment is needed. For photography, polar alignment is critical.

The accessory you mentioned that is really needed for the Omni XLT 150 is a collimator. I think you said a collimating eyepiece, but I'd suggest instead or in addition a laser collimator. You can get one inexpensively at Scopestuff.com.

Edit: One thing I thought of just after posting this is, does anyone have any concerns or opinions regarding the fact that this 6" Newtonian OTA has a pretty long extension tube on the focuser? Note that the Omni XLT 150 OTA has a focal length of 750mm but the OTA is only 26.5" (673mm) long to make it compact for storage and travel. Thank goodness it's not one of those horrible Jones-Bird Newtonians, but rather a standard Newtonian that uses the extension tube to get the eyepiece to the focal point that is a bit farther outside the OTA than with other Newtonian OTAs. That's fine for visual use, but would the long focuser extension tube cause issues with handling the camera?
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
tugger

Post by tugger »

Who said she has to spend $1000?! The AVX is about $700. Hell, she can borrow mine if she wants and test drive it since I have another to use.

The vibration pads are a gimmick. With a guider and appropriate mount, you won't tell the difference.

My advice: get some rings and a dovetail to put your scope on and AVX. Find a computer and USB 3.0 hub and let's hit a site on a full moon night to get you running. Then decide the direction in which you want to go.
ktboundary

Post by ktboundary »

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I held off on buying the motor drive, and I'll skip the vibration suppression pads. I will definitely need to watch some YouTube videos on how to collimate - the Celestron Chesire collimation eyepiece is what I bought. I'm not sure if that's all I need to do it. For taking pictures (prime focus, I think it's called), I think the extension tube comes out. I read that my camera may have issues focusing correctly. I got a T-ring for it, and I may need the T-adapter but I'm not sure. I also bought a basic smartphone adapter to try out. To be quite honest, I can't afford to spend a lot right now and I already doubled the telescope's price with all the accessories I bought (oops!). I just want to play around and see what I can do.

I got a Messier Marathon field guide a few years ago that I want to work through. I'm taking it up to a Bortle 1 campsite on the Gunflint Trail at the end of July - if my scope comes in. Apparently, they've had major issues getting them in from China because of the virus.
Nicole Lindell
JJC Keyholder

Celestron Omni XLT 150
rdavidjohnson63

Post by rdavidjohnson63 »

You will need the T-adapter also. The T-ring connects to your camera, the T-adapter connects to the telescope.

I have 2 sets for my Nikon D5100. One is short and has a screw thread end on the adapter that screws directly to my SCT. I used this configuration with a F/5.6 reducer to shoot the 2017 solar eclipse. It worked very well.
The other is longer, smooth, and adjustable. It slides into place like it was an eyepiece. It it possible to put a skinny 1.25" eyepiece inside it to get some magnification. I don't do that very often.

Spending more money than you intend to is a common problem in astronomy. Doubly so when you start getting into astrophotography.

Good luck and enjoy.
Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Mentor - JJC
Celestron CPC 925
Celestron 8SE
Celestron CGEM II mount
Stellarvue SV105
Lunt LS60T Ha w/Sky-Watcher - SolarQuest Alt-Azimuth Solar Mount
Astro-Tech AT102ED
ZWO - ASI294MC Pro