Camp grounds for good viewing

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

pkarri

Camp grounds for good viewing

Post by pkarri »

Hi all,
We were recently at the ELO Camping With The Stars event and the feedback from the youngest member in our group (5.5 years old) was that it was awesome. We've camped at MN State Parks before, so we were wondering if there are public campgrounds outside the TC but not too far north that you would recommend for stargazing over weekends? Because we travel with a 5 year old and her batteries do not last long (its not easy lugging a scope and a whiny kid back to the tent at 11 in the night), ideally the location:
1. Has open fields (or no trees obstructing lower altitude viewing) close to where the camp ground is to set up a telescope
2. Potty is close by (walking distance)
3. Kid has activities to keep busy during the day (swimming, hiking...)
4. Prefer something that can offer views of the Andromeda galaxy

Bonus would be campgrounds where we could see the Northern Lights (maybe later in the year). We live in the SW suburbs (30mins from ELO).

Thanks!
KP
kibatme

Re: Camp grounds for good viewing

Post by kibatme »

I've observed at Forrestville / Mystery Cave SP. There is a nice location immediately west of the electric site campground loop, marked on the map as 'angler parking'. I recall site lines were pretty decent. I don't remember 'potty' locations nearby, but you are right by the camper cabins and may be able to cut through the area between parking area and the electric site camping loop for options. Activities during the day are plentiful -- the cave tour is great and the recreation of the town operated by the Historical Society is interesting (though I doubt it's staffed with interpretive guides at the current time). If your young one enjoys horses you'll see plenty -- there is a very active equestrian camp site and you'll encounter riders all over the park. A visit to that campsite may be interesting as well. And if anyone is interested in fly fishing there are creek and river options, some easy to fish, others more challenging, all in beautiful settings. Given you'll be near the southern border of the state, northern lights probably won't be visible.

Rice Lake had an open field area adjacent to the campground, but it's been a while since I've been there, so that may have changed. Not the darkest skies, and can be a major mosquito population as I recall.

The relatively new campsites at Whitewater haven't had time for much tree growth, so there may be options there. Be advised when I was there fly fishing a while back the swimming area was drained.

Glacial Lakes SP to the NW has large open areas, but I don't recall how close to camping facilities. There was (is?) an astronomy group that regularly had star parties there. Lots of nice trails and a lake to fish. Not much for kids, though there is a retro DQ in nearby Starbuck that might make up for that and that those of us of a 'certain age' will appreciate.

We've been to a lot of SPs, and there may be many others. Let us know if there are ones you're thinking of and someone may have some insights.
pkarri

Post by pkarri »

TY kibatme! We'll check these out. We had stayed at the Glacial Lakes SP (remote camping) years ago, very memorable and windy.
Steve Baranski

Post by Steve Baranski »

Wild river state park is really close, and is in a bit of a "darker spot" for being so close to the cities. Just across the road from the camping area is an open field that works very well for viewing ... it is not Real Dark skies, but, it is really close, and the open fields make it good for observing.

Sioux Agency state park is in darker skies, and also has more of an open camping area, allowing for viewing from the campsite, but, the last time I was there, the bathroom lights where annoyingly bright... perhaps positioning your camp to shade your scope, may be a good compromise.

Other parks can be a bit of a mixed bag - At Glacial Lakes, the horse campground is good for astronomy, and the park is amenable to letting astronomers camp in the horse campground. But, it puts you a long way from all the rest of the parks amenities - save a outhouse that is located in the horse campground.

When I plan a trip, I normally check https://darksitefinder.com to see how dark the skys near the campgrounds are, then look at google maps satellite view, to find campgrounds that are not too heavily wooded... because it is nice to have your scope at your site -makes it easier to go to bed when the clouds roll in.. or the eyelids get heavy.
pkarri

Post by pkarri »

Thank you Steve! I had forgotten about the darksitesfinder.com website.
zimitsj

Post by zimitsj »

St. Croix State Park is also a good place in a nice little dark pocket.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks ... 3#homepage
John Zimitsch
MAS Vice President 2022-Present
SCT: C8 Classic
Newts: 6” f/8 and f/4.2, both homemade
Bino: 15X70 SkyMaster on a homemade p-mount