Possible Spotting of Cygnus Resupply Spacecraft to the ISS Saturday October 3rd

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
petemn2004

Possible Spotting of Cygnus Resupply Spacecraft to the ISS Saturday October 3rd

Post by petemn2004 »

A Northrop Grumman Cygnus resupply spacecraft is on its way to the International Space Station, launched at 8:16 p.m. last night.

The ISS should be making a favorable pass tonight (Saturday October 3rd) reaching a maximum altitude of 76 degrees above the horizon in the SSW at 8:22 PM.

ISS listing:
Date Brightness Start Highest point End Pass type
(mag) Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az.
03 Oct -3.7 20:18:39 10° WNW 20:22:02 76° SSW 20:22:53 46° SE visible

Cygnus spacecraft will be trailing the ISS. It is supposed to dock Monday morning with the ISS so it is hard to determine how many minutes it will be behind the ISS.

Clear Sky Chart shows a clearing process beginning around 6 PM.

Mark
SEmert

Re: Possible Spotting of Cygnus Resupply Spacecraft to the ISS Saturday October 3rd

Post by SEmert »

I'm going to try. Unfortunately right now it looks like it's going to be cloudy.

But one additional thing, I'm sure the amateur radio operators in the club already know but I just found out today, is that there is a newly installed ham radio repeater in the ISS. I just tried listening to the 3:30 daytime ISS pass with a VHF/UHF walkie-talkie and heard a few snippets of ham calls through it. So, something else to look forward to if it turns out cloudy!
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
SEmert

Re: Possible Spotting of Cygnus Resupply Spacecraft to the ISS Saturday October 3rd

Post by SEmert »

Partial success. I spotted a glimpse of the ISS through one little hole in the clouds, but didn't see the Cygnus resupply vehicle following it. On the radio repeater front, I only caught a couple of snippets of calls coming down from the repeater on the ISS. In addition to fewer clouds, I guess I also need a directional antenna (and probably a better radio).
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount