October B-SIG Observing Session -- Saturday Oct. 24th -- 5:30pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

October B-SIG Observing Session -- Saturday Oct. 24th -- 5:30pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The October B-SIG observing session will be held on Saturday Oct. 24th at the Metcalf Nature Center, near Afton. It will start at 5:30pm (sunset is at 6:13pm that night). If it is looking like clouds on Saturday night, the backup night will be Friday Oct. 23rd at Metcalf. I will make the call on Thursday 10/22.

Due to COVID restrictions, we need to limit the attendance, so if you are planning to attend please drop me an e-mail at sureshks1@msn.com so I can add you to the event roster. Please bring a face mask with you, and practice social distancing during the event.

There is no charge to attend a B-SIG event, and you do not need to be an MAS member to attend -- everyone is welcome!! The purpose is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions and to show you celestial objects thru their telescopes.

We typically have telescopes on hand of all shapes and sizes. If you have a telescope, feel free to bring it. If you need help with learning how to set up and use it, we are happy to help! Otherwise, we'll have plenty of 'scopes available for you to look through.

The main target we will be viewing this time will be Mars. Mars came to opposition on October 13th, but it will still be big and bright on 10/24. The Red Planet will rise at 5:44pm and will be well placed for viewing all night long. In addition to Mars, we will have plenty of other objects to view, including Jupiter, Saturn and a myriad of star clusters, galaxies and nebulae. The Moon will be 57% illuminated this night, and will be an enticing target as well until it sets just after midnight. It will be in a nice phase for viewing craters along its day/night line (called the terminator).

If you'd like to join us, please bring extra clothes, a jacket, hat and a lawn chair or blanket. Temps will likely dip into the 40s at night, so be prepared!!

Directions to Metcalf: (see this Google Maps link): https://goo.gl/maps/UNkt67YPWg4qAjuP6

Metcalf Field GPS Coordinates: 44.93734 N / 92.82157 W

For more information on Metcalf Nature Center, see here: http://www.mnastro.org/facilities/metcalf/

Directions:
Head east past Woodbury on I-94 to the Manning exit (exit 253). Turn south and then take the first left onto Hudson Road S. Continue east about 1.5 miles and turn right onto Indian Trail. Check your odometer here, and then travel 1.1 miles. You'll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right side. This is the entrance to Metcalf field. Enter the dirt path and park on the left side. There are 2 small reflectors on poles marking the entrance. If you have a telescope with you, you can also park on the right (north side) of the field.

If you haven't been to Metcalf, it can be a little difficult to locate the entrance in the dark. So please plan on arriving in daylight.

I will make the final Go/No Go call on the evening of Thursday 10/22, based on the weather forecast for Saturday night. Please check this post for updates, or e-mail me at: sureshks1@msn.com.

We hope to see you there!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
DahnGee

Re: October B-SIG Observing Session -- Saturday Oct. 24th -- 5:30pm -- Metcalf Nature Center

Post by DahnGee »

Posting for Suresh, This event has been canceled due to expected weather and snow on the field
Don Gazdik