Telescope Alignment

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Scooter

Telescope Alignment

Post by Scooter »

Hi guy Scott/Scooter here. So here's a problem that I've been having.

I have a Celestron Nexstar 5 I believe it's on an SE mount. I do the two star alignment through the hand held controller. Once I get on a star the drop the more high power eyepieces on the recenter the star. I do that in increments to fine tune the star. After I do that the object is still off to either side of the eyepiece.

Is there something else that I"m missing? Or could I use software and computer control to better align my telescope?
sandconp

Re: Telescope Alignment

Post by sandconp »

Have you tried doing doing an auto alignment? I sometimes have problem with that too on my C8 and C11.
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
matt_2018

Post by matt_2018 »

I agree with Conrad. A full auto alignment should help some. A two star alignment is a good start, but adding a few more objects in different parts of the sky should help reduce the errors as well as get you observing sooner.

After the two star alignment, then pick a couple of bright/interesting objects like Alberio or planets and resync on each of those as you find them if they seem off-center. Soon you should be nailing them on the first try.

I don't know how to do this on a Celestron, but I know I can do it on my Meade.
Matt Dunham
MAS Treasurer & member since 2018

Meade LX200RC 12-inch (my portable observatory)
Celestron SC-8" w/fork wedge (my travel scope)
rjcegla

Post by rjcegla »

It's important to move the telescope in the same direction when aligning that the telescope moves when it goes to an object. Watch which way the star move in your eyepiece when you goto a star and use the keypad to move in the same direction when you do your alignment. Moving up and to the right for instance. The direction it moves can be changed in the utilities. Doesn't matter which way, just do the same as the telescope when you align. This takes the slop out of your gear train. You should be able to easily find your target within a 28 or 32mm eyepiece. Doing a sync will help with the faint stuff.
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

rjcegla wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:57 am It's important to move the telescope in the same direction when aligning that the telescope moves when it goes to an object. Watch which way the star move in your eyepiece when you goto a star and use the keypad to move in the same direction when you do your alignment. Moving up and to the right for instance. The direction it moves can be changed in the utilities. Doesn't matter which way, just do the same as the telescope when you align. This takes the slop out of your gear train. You should be able to easily find your target within a 28 or 32mm eyepiece. Doing a sync will help with the faint stuff.
That’s a very good point
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

No I've not done a full auto alignment but I will give it a try. Yes I always try make it go the same direction. But I 'll the next time it's clear out. But thank you.