Winter Oberserving

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Scooter

Winter Oberserving

Post by Scooter »

Is there any one of our sites that people go to during winter besides special occasions? Or is there sites good enough for winter observing that people are willing to share?
Deane Clark

Re: Winter Oberserving

Post by Deane Clark »

As far as I am aware, the only one of our sites that get regular snow removal to any major degree is ELO. The park plows the park roads and our driveway. We usually shovel out the walks so we can at least get into Onan and the classroom. If you want a place to set up your scope, you might have to set up on the driveway or shovel out a space on the concrete plaza.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Actually, I learned today that we are now having the driveway at Cherry Grove plowed during the winter, so that should now be available in the winter.
Edit: Not that it wasn't before. You could always use whatever was available as long as you parked up on the road since the driveway was plowed in from the county road snow plows.
Last edited by SEmert on Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Scooter,

Carver Reserve in Victoria is a site that our members can request permits for, and can use 24/7. We observe there fairly often in the winter since it's pretty close for those of us who live in the west metro. We tend to just use the parking lot in the winter to get away from the snow. As it is part of the Three Rivers park system they keep it plowed pretty well, and it's generally good enough for observing.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

SEmert wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:05 pm Actually, I learned today that we are now having the driveway at Cherry Grove plowed during the winter, so that should now be available in the winter.
Great news Steve!
How much are they going to plow? I assume the drive and at least part of the parking area?
In any case, I would expect to do a little shoveling to clear a space to observe that is screened from headlights on the roads.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org