October Beginner Group Observing Session – Saturday Oct. 16th -- 6:00pm -- Metcalf Field at Belwin Conservancy

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

October Beginner Group Observing Session – Saturday Oct. 16th -- 6:00pm -- Metcalf Field at Belwin Conservancy

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The next MAS Beginner observing session is scheduled for Saturday October 16th at Metcalf Field at Belwin Conservancy, near Afton (weather permitting). It will start at 6:00pm (sunset is at 6:27pm that night). If it is cloudy on Saturday the backup night will be Friday October 15th also at Metcalf Field.

If you are planning to attend please respond here (with your name and e-mail address) or drop me an e-mail at sureshks1@msn.com so I can keep you informed of schedule changes due to weather.

There is no charge to attend a beginner event, and you do not need to be an MAS member to attend -- everyone is welcome!! The purpose is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions.

If you have a telescope, feel free to bring it. If you need help with learning how to set up and use it, we are happy to help!

Please note: Metcalf Field presently does not have A/C power. It was removed over the winter by Xcel Energy when the old storage shed was removed. We are working with them to have it added back. So if you need power for your telescope, bring a DC battery.

The Moon will be 88% illuminated this night and will be located near Neptune in the sky. Still, there will be plenty of objects available that we can view thru our telescopes, including several nebulae, clusters and galaxies. Summer Milky Way objects will still be visible and the Andromeda Galaxy and Autumn sky will be rising in the east after sunset. Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune will also be observable right after dark in the south & southeastern sky.

Don Gazdik provided this list of objects for people to search for with their telescopes during this event:

Double Stars:
- Eta Cassiopeia (Achird) Mag. +3.5 and +7.5 at 13" (beautiful colors)
- Gamma Andromeda (Almach) Mag. +2.2 and +5.0 at 9.4" (similar colors to Albireo)
- Gamma Aries (Mesarthim) Mag. +3.9 and +4.6 at 7.4" (very easy to find)
- Alkurah (Xi Cephei) Mag. +4.4 and 6.4 at 8.5"

Carbon Stars
- W Cassiopeia (Mag. +9.0)
- WZ Cassiopeia (Mag. +7.1 -- part of double star system 58" apart)

Deep Sky Objects:
- M52 (Beautiful +6.9 magnitude open cluster in Cassiopeia)
- NGC 7789 (Caroline's Rose -- beautiful +6.7 mag. open cluster in Cassiopeia)
- NGC 869/884 (h and Chi Persei -- Famous Double Cluster in Perseus)
- M31/M32/M110 (Andromeda Galaxy and 2 close companion galaxies)
- NGC 7662 (Blue Snowball -- +8.3 mag. planetary nebula in Andromeda)
- NGC 404 (Mirach's Ghost -- +10.3 mag. elliptical galaxy located in the same field as very bright B Andromeda (Mirach))

Visible Planets:
- Venus: the 56% illuminated "evening star" will be a pretty sight just after sunset low in the southwest
- Saturn: see the glorious rings, as well as a few atmospheric bands and up to 4 of its moons!
- Jupiter: Io and Europa will pass very close to one another around 10:45pm on the 16th
- Uranus: the turquoise-colored ice giant is coming up on its 11/4 opposition in Aries
- Neptune: see this blue planet from 3 billion miles away, and maybe it's moon Triton too!

If you'd like to join us, please bring a lawn chair or blanket. Also, bring a few extra clothing layers in case temps dip at night.

Directions to Metcalf Field: (see this Google Maps link): https://goo.gl/maps/UNkt67YPWg4qAjuP6

Metcalf Field GPS Coordinates: 44.93734 N / 92.82157 W

For more information on Metcalf Field, see here: http://www.mnastro.org/facilities/metcalf/

Directions:
Head east past Woodbury on I-94 to the Manning exit (exit 253). Turn south and then take the first left onto Hudson Road S. Continue east about 1.5 miles and turn right onto Indian Trail. Check your odometer here, and then travel 1.1 miles. You'll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right side. This is the entrance to Metcalf field. Enter the dirt path and park on the left side. There will be a small MAS sign and 2 small reflectors on poles marking the entrance. If you have a telescope with you, you can also park on the right (north side) of the field.

If you haven't been to Metcalf Field, it can be a little difficult to locate the entrance. So please arrive in daylight.

I will make the final Go/No Go call on the evening of Thursday 10/14, based on the weather forecast. I will pick the clearer of the two nights.

Please check this thread for updates, or e-mail me at: sureshks1@msn.com.

If you'd like to volunteer to help out at this and future Beginner group events, please let me know.

We hope to see you there!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Sureshks

Re: October Beginner Group Observing Session – Saturday Oct. 16th -- 6:00pm -- Metcalf Field at Belwin Conservancy

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

Based on the current weather forecasts Saturday night looks pretty good for observing. The 10/16 BSIG event is a GO!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

JohnR

Re: October Beginner Group Observing Session – Saturday Oct. 16th -- 6:00pm -- Metcalf Field at Belwin Conservancy

Post by JohnR »

I am planning to be there (with a telescope, warm jacket, and possibly my brother). Looking forward to it!

-John (jrisrad1@gmail.com)
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Two months in a row?! Inconceivable! :)
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

I'm bringing about 30 copies of the October "The Evening Sky Map" (skymaps.com) to hand out to those who like to go "old style" (paper charts) instead of smartphone apps.

I'll also have collimation tools and other tools and spare screws and such in case anyone is in need of help with Newtonian collimation or other light repairs or adjustments.

Bringing my C5 SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 alt-az mount, and going to try out my StarSense Explorer phone app bracket on it tonight.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

We had a really fun night at the BSIG last night. We counted 74 attendees, most of whom were first time attendees!! During the night I came across ~ 5 people who had joined the MAS after attending last month's BSIG session. 8)

There was a large number of telescopes set up across Metcalf Field. Under a very clear crisp Moonlit Fall night we showed people a wide array of objects. I set up two scopes and showed people Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, M31, M15, M27, NGC 404 and the Double Cluster, amongst a few other targets. As I wandered around the field I heard people calling out other targets they had found in their scopes too.

I want to thank our volunteers for their help during the event -- Alan Touchberry, Matt Dunham, Andy Harwood, Phil Ramsay, Don Gazdik, Steve Emert, Todd Farnham, Steve Baranski and Paul Gade. Together, we helped people set up their telescopes, learn how to use them, resolve technical issues and assist with finding targets in the sky. Someone came with an older Meade telescope that had been his father's. Matt & Alan helped him to get it up and running for the first time in many years. Alan told me that the guy said that his mother would probably be crying, watching this scope in action once again... pretty cool. We also referred several people to the MAS Loaner Scope program. There seemed to be a lot of happy people on the field this night...

In addition to helping people learn how to do visual, it seems like this year the BSIG has been branching more into imaging as well. Last month Phil R. and Jason Asper conducted a demo of the ASIAir on the field that was well attended. This time two telescopes were actually set up for imaging. One was Judy Babcock's. She has attended most of the BSIG events this year, and has been working on getting her imaging rig up and running. Last night she took some great images of M31 (congrats Judy!). Needless to say, she was overjoyed. :) And there was a new couple set up next to her who were attempting to run a rig off of NINA for the first time. They got pretty far, but ultimately ran into issues getting plate solving to work. ...the joys of imaging. :lol:

I am attaching a link to a Dropbox folder containing pictures taken by Gena Linafelter, Alan T., Todd F. and myself.

Please let me know if there are any issues accessing this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qn4cslxjh23m ... Ak26a?dl=0

Last night's was the final BSIG observing session for 2021. We start up the Fall/Winter BSIG presentations on Sat. Nov. 20th at 1:00pm. Dave Tosteson will be presenting Deep Sky Observing for Beginners. This presentation will be done virtually. Watch for more information about that presentation and the link to join on this Forum as we get closer.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

GregO29

Post by GregO29 »

It was great to attend my first BSIG. I didn't bring a scope, but I did bring an 8mm fisheye on a full frame DSLR and did a little time lapse... 1 shot every 30 seconds for a couple hours... just over 300 shots, about 36 seconds (10fps).

https://phunguss.com/MAS2021/Metcalf_October2021sm.mp4

I stacked them, lots of activity with people coming and going...

And unwrapped the spherical to cylindrical.

Then I removed all the frames with light disturbances:

Can't wait for the next moonless meeting!
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Wow those are fantastic Greg!!

Thank you for sharing...

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

GregO29 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:38 pm It was great to attend my first BSIG. I didn't bring a scope, but I did bring an 8mm fisheye on a full frame DSLR and did a little time lapse... 1 shot every 30 seconds for a couple hours... just over 300 shots, about 36 seconds (10fps).

https://phunguss.com/MAS2021/Metcalf_October2021sm.mp4

I stacked them, lots of activity with people coming and going...

Then I removed all the frames with light disturbances:

Can't wait for the next moonless meeting!
Cool! Someone at ELO Saturday night was talking about that flashing satellite you caught.

It’s also interesting how Saturn’s trail looks greenish yellow compared to the stars.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org