U of M Presentation - New Science from Merging Neutron Stars - Wed. Nov. 3rd 7pm

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Sureshks

U of M Presentation - New Science from Merging Neutron Stars - Wed. Nov. 3rd 7pm

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

Dave Tosteson pointed me to an upcoming lecture presented by the U of M's Institute for Astrophysics by Prof. Michael Coughlin. I thought I'd post it here to alert the crowd...

Merging Neutron Stars
Date: Wednesday, November 3rd, 2021 from 7 PM-8 PM

Venue: Coffman Memorial Union Theater (We will be broadcasting through Zoom as well)

New Science from Merging Neutron Stars
From the generation of gold to the expansion rate of the Universe: With the detection of compact binary coalescences and their electromagnetic counterparts by gravitational-wave detectors, a new era of multi-messenger astronomy has begun. In this talk, Professor Coughlin will describe how GW170817, our first example in this new class, is being used to study a diverse variety of dense matter in the Universe and how fast the Universe is expanding. He will then discuss how we are using telescopes to look for more of them and developing models to test what we find. Professor Coughlin will close with future prospects for this new field.

You can either see the presentation in person, or view it via Zoom.

To register for this event, see this link: https://cse.umn.edu/mifa

Best,

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"