Observing in the City?

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

borbital

Observing in the City?

Post by borbital »

Hi, I'm just starting to research to get my first scope, but wanted to ask about using it in the city. I live in the Bloomington area near the MOA and was wondering if I will be able to see "much" with my scope due to the light pollution? I know I can drive around to other less polluted areas but initially I will be starting in my backyard. I think I might get one of the Meade DS-2114 models to start with.
I guess, how limited will i be?
Thanks!!
Mike Fischer

Post by Mike Fischer »

While light has a big affect on what and how well you can see, you will be able to see much from within the city. I don't see things from my home in Savage much over a 7 or 8 Magnitude, but there is a lot to see that is brighter than that. Planets: Jupiter and its moons are a glorious site and you'll see the planet and four moons well from your home. Saturn has gone away for a while, but it was a wonderful site from my home just a few months ago. Mars will soon be a great target, there are always many double star systems, and clusters that can be easily observed. Dark skies will always make your observing better, but you can easily choose things that you can observe right from your driveway. If nothing else, download a map of the moon and get to know our next door neighbor.
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

don't forget the moon. As a tiny sliver it is the most interesting, and can be infact viewed day or night easily. M13 should be easily visable too. I don't know how big your scope is but the ring is an easy target as well. Because you're already in the south mentro, you should have less crap in that south than me so try some globs and nebula in sagitarius and anteres as well. Depending ont he size of your scope u should see something as I could always see some from matcalf using a 3". Th 2 large open clusters are binoc objects. Infact, so is one of the globs (m22 or 28 I can't remeber which) Skip the 3 messier's at the bottom of the teapot, they're small and dificult.
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

There are lots of things to can see from the city, it is kind of a fin challenge some times. I live a few minutes from downtown and I've seen the green of the orion nebula and even spotted a comet that certainly wasn't naked eye from the city! If you are looking for planets you just point at the bright "star" up in the sky. Planet's are easier to spot than dimmer stars that wash out. The hardest part is finding dimmer stuff as the stares you wan to star hop from are not visible with the naked eye!

Anyhow, what everyone else said is good advice. We're just starting month 2 of Lunar Observing list here in the beginner's forum so there's still time to join up. You only need a pair of binoculars at this point!

~Kirk
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

Up until a few weeks ago, I lived in Bloomington. Was able to see quite a lot of stuff from the back yard, including

M57 Ring Nebula
M27 Dumbell Nebula
The Coat Hanger
NGC 957 The Owl cluster
M31 Andromeda Galaxy
M29 Open Cluster in Cygnus
M39 Open Cluster in Cygnus
The Double Cluster in Perseus

M13 Globular Cluster in Hercules
M42 The Great Orion Nebula
The Eskimo Nebula
Comet Maccholz

In short, was able to see a little something in each category of clusters, galaxies, nebulae, moon and planets.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
Gomanson

Post by Gomanson »

Yeah, about that Ring Nebula...last night was very clear (aside from the frequent mortar shell fireworks) so I went out and tried to spot a few things with my 50mm refractor. I spent most of my time trying to find the Ring Nebula and M81/M82. I failed at both objects. The main reason I found it so hard (besides my puny telescope and my total lack of ability) was the absence of the lines connecting the constellations, and the plethora of stars showing up in the eyepiee that weren't on my star map :wink:

I realize that I won't be able to see much of anything with this telescope, but until I get a new one, I'd at least like to be able to see something so I can keep my interest up. Any tips/pointers on what to spot out there tonight?

P.S. I have a 600mm focal length telescope (50mm refractor) with 25mm and 9mm EPs.
-Ross
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

I would suggest globular cluster M13 in Hercules. It will be almost straight up at 11:00 tonight. Bright and easy to find in Hercules' right kidney.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

I don't think you can do that with a refractor. Unless it's an EQ mount...No at/alt tripod I've ever had will let me go strait up, or atleast not easily...always bumping into tripod legs ect. However, If you stay up until closer to dawn andromeda galaxy will be up and that is a big target.

How big is the new scope going to be?
Gomanson

Post by Gomanson »

If I knew that I'd be able to sleep better hehe...still shopping unfortunately. I'm looking for an affordable 4"-6" eq or dob, short or long tube. I've been leaning toward and eq mount since I started looking but now I'm starting to look at dobs again because of my experiences the last few nights. With my little scope I've had to move it around the yard a few times a night to avoid changing lights in the neighborhood. And as I look more into astrophotography I'm starting to think I should just hold off on it altogether for a while. Are there camera adapters for dobs? I realize any time exposures need to be on a tracking mount but the only things I would be imaging any time soon anyway would be planets and the moon.
-Ross
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

Actually, there are some things you can photograph with a DOB; the moon for sure, because you can use a fast shutter speed and your telescope does not need to be tracking.

You would use the same camera adapter for the DOB as you would for any telescope. Scopetronix.com has lots of adapters.

For starters, you don't need an adapter. Get the moon in your eyepiece and just point the camera into it and shoot. Many a good lunar shot has been obtained this way.
I don't think you can do that with a refractor. Unless it's an EQ mount...No at/alt tripod I've ever had will let me go strait up, or atleast not easily
OK, then you could try M39, a nice open cluster in Cygnus. It is only about 35 degrees up at around 11:00 OK. It is quite visible from Bloomington.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Kirk

Post by Kirk »

The ring nubula is always smaller than I remember. It must be that darned Hubble image I see everywhere tainting my memory. What magnification were you using to find the ring nebula?

~Kirk
Gomanson

Post by Gomanson »

I was using 24x and 66x. I think my whole problem is the 2"- aperture I'm trying to use.
-Ross
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

At 24x the ring will be about the same apparant size as a star, perhaps a little bit bigger. The only way to notice it is to look for a star that is not "crisp" - ie, out of focus.

When you see that, center it and bump up your magnification to 100x or so. You will then be able to make out the ring structure.
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

it may also be purple.