LPI Virtual Presentation: The Journey of the JWST (5/12, 7:00 pm CDT)

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Ron Schmit

LPI Virtual Presentation: The Journey of the JWST (5/12, 7:00 pm CDT)

Post by Ron Schmit »

The Education and Public Engagement team from the Lunar and Planetary Institute (LPI) will be holding a virtual, public science event that may be of interest to you.
The Journey of the James Webb Space Telescope:
Where we are and where we are going
Thursday, May 12, 7:00 p.m. CDT
The JWST abilities will complement NASA’s ongoing planetary missions and extend the discoveries of the Hubble Space Telescope with longer wavelength coverage and greatly improved sensitivity. Join us to hear Dr. Stephanie Milam, the JWST Deputy Project Scientist for Planetary Science, as she shares an update about some of the revolutionary science planned for the first year of operations.

This is a science presentation for adults about the JWST from the Deputy Project Scientist for Planetary Science on the mission. She’ll be sharing updates about the calibration and commissioning process and some of the scientific targets planned for the first year of operations.

Attached is a PDF flyer for the event. Additionally, the information can be found on the Events webpage:
(https://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/events/).
2022-05-12_CESS_The Journey of the JWST.pdf
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 55 times
Dick Jacobson

Re: LPI Virtual Presentation: The Journey of the JWST (5/12, 7:00 pm CDT)

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Thanks for the heads-up on this, Ron. I enjoyed the presentation even though I already knew most of what was presented. I don't think I've ever heard an hour-long talk where the word "actually" was in every sentence. At least she didn't start every sentence with "so," as do many young nerdy types.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Ron Schmit

Re: LPI Virtual Presentation: The Journey of the JWST (5/12, 7:00 pm CDT)

Post by Ron Schmit »

Yeah, science lectures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.