Bell Museum planet parties 6/24, 6/25

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

Deane Clark

Bell Museum planet parties 6/24, 6/25

Post by Deane Clark »

Not an MAS event, but I realized that not everyone has heard about this. The Bell Museum is hosting early morning star parties for the great planet lineup this week, on Friday and Saturday mornings.
https://www.bellmuseum.umn.edu/event/planet-party-2022/

From their announcement email:
For two days only, June 24 & 25, 4–5am, get ready for one Moon, seven planets, and a dwarf planet!

This astronomical event of all planets appearing in the same area of the sky, also known as a planet parade, will not occur again until 2161. Five of the seven planets are visible to the unaided eye; the Bell Museum planetarium team will have telescopes outside—weather permitting—to help participants observe all the planets.

Through guidance from the planetarium team, join us for the opportunity to view the atmosphere of Jupiter, spot the detail on Saturn’s rings, see a side of the moon that is often too dark to view at night-including new craters, and more. So stop by the Learning Landscape and take a look at our closest neighbors (seeing Pluto not guaranteed).

Please note: This event is weather dependent. Register to receive communications regarding the status of this event.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Deane Clark

Re: Bell Museum planet parties 6/24, 6/25

Post by Deane Clark »

Did anyone go this morning? The weather sure didn’t look good for it.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
kibatme

Post by kibatme »

I set an alarm for 2am figuring I would head to ELO if weather looked promising, but Bloomington skies were totally overcast, so back to bed for me. :cry:
dossett

Post by dossett »

At 03:50 I got in the car with my daughter (10) and brother-in-law, but the skies looked terrible. We drove about 45 minutes south on I-35 and were able to see the moon, venus, mars, jupiter, and saturn. We *might* have caught a glimpse of Mercury on the way back, not completely sure. The four planets we saw for sure was pretty neat, I hadn't seen that many at the same time before.
"Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another." -- Plato

Skywatcher 100mm on a Celestron AVX mount
Celestron 9.25" Evolution SCT
10x50 Midas G2 binoculars