Good places to skygaze in the Twin Cities?

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

ewomack

Good places to skygaze in the Twin Cities?

Post by ewomack »

Hello,

Does anyone have any favorite viewing sites around the light polluted Twin Cities for nights when you just want to grab some binoculars or a telescope and just go out and look at something?
Sureshks

Re: Good places to skygaze in the Twin Cities?

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Tom,

The difficulty is that most city/county parks close around 10pm, and this time of year it doesn't get dark till closer to 11pm or later.

If you're an MAS member, my suggestion would be to use Metcalf Field if you're on the east side of the metro. It is located just off of I-94 near the Manning exit, on the way to Afton. That's where we meet for the beginner events (BSIGs). It is available 24/7 to members, aside from the occasional use by the Belwin staff for their events.

If you're a member on the west side of town I'd suggest going out to Eagle Lake Observatory near Norwood/Young America. Members can get in after hours (there's a gate), and can stay on the observatory grounds all night.

A third option (depending on where you live) is Carver Reserve in Victoria. It's about 1/2 as far from downtown as Eagle Lake, and nearly as dark. MAS members can request a permit from Three Rivers Parks and can stay all night at either of two designated spots in the Reserve. They ask that you request the permit a few days before you go out, so they have time to prepare it. You'd have to get on their permit list before you can request one. If you want to be added, let me know and I can get you added onto their "MAS approved" list.

I believe there's also a spot near Lebanon hills that a few MAS members can also go to in Burnsville. I'm not sure what the process is to get access there.

Best,

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Sureshks wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:09 pm I believe there's also a spot near Lebanon hills that a few MAS members can also go to in Burnsville. I'm not sure what the process is to get access there.

Best,

Suresh
Lebanon Hills Regional Park is in Eagan.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

I've used the "skyview" area, a hilltop in French Regional Park in Plymouth. It's heavily light polluted but has an excellent view of the sky. For somewhat less light pollution, you could try 100th street near Hwy. 95 in Cottage Grove, an unpaved road through farm fields with very little traffic.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
wmaalouli

Post by wmaalouli »

I live in Eagan. Any additional details as to where in the Lebanon Hills park the observing spot is? I can call the city and ask about nighttime access.
Telescopes: Orion XTg-8 dobsonian, Meade Mini Lightbridge 114 reflector, Meade ETX-70,80 and 90
Binoculars: Celestron 15x70
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Lebanon Hills is a Dakota County park.
http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/parksT ... banonHills

I believe MAS board member Conrad Sanders has already gone through the process to get permission to use the park after dark for observing. I’d contact him, which you can do via private message on this forum. Or he might notice this and reply.

There’s also this old thread started by someone (also in Eagan) asking the same question as you:
viewtopic.php?t=11573
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
wmaalouli

Post by wmaalouli »

Deane Clark wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:49 am Lebanon Hills is a Dakota County park.
http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/parksT ... banonHills

I believe MAS board member Conrad Sanders has already gone through the process to get permission to use the park after dark for observing. I’d contact him, which you can do via private message on this forum. Or he might notice this and reply.

There’s also this old thread started by someone (also in Eagan) asking the same question as you:
viewtopic.php?t=11573
Thanks. It's a pretty large park and I was wondering if there was a particularly good spot for observing there. Best thing probably is for me to just scout it out. I'll contact Conrad.
Telescopes: Orion XTg-8 dobsonian, Meade Mini Lightbridge 114 reflector, Meade ETX-70,80 and 90
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

I don’t have any experience, but from looking at Google maps it seems like the equestrian area might be good. It seems to have open space with fewer trees and it’s more isolated.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
wmaalouli

Post by wmaalouli »

Deane Clark wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:25 am I don’t have any experience, but from looking at Google maps it seems like the equestrian area might be good. It seems to have open space with fewer trees and it’s more isolated.
I'll check it out. Thanks!