Polar alignment newbie question

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

FEH

Polar alignment newbie question

Post by FEH »

Does it work to take your CEM before putting on the scope and use a phone app on top of the mount where the scope goes to align the mount? I tested several phone apps and they appear to work, even giving the long/lat. The compass (using true north) worked even if not level (like even at about a 60 degree angle). What I have not found in an app that will do the same of latitude. Experiences in trying this? Final polar check adjustment still needed? I would guess maybe? But what about when Polaris is not visible (aka blocked by trees, etc)?

How does something like Polar Scope Align Pro work with ones scope?

Thanks,
Scopes: Sky Quest 14" Dobsonian, Celestron C8, Explore Scientific ED102 APO
Guidescopes: 2 ZWO miniguide scopes with ZWO 120minis and red dot telrad
Imaging: ZWO MC533 Pro, ZWO 183MM Pro, ZWO , QHY183 color, ZWO EFW 8 x 2" Filter Wheel, LRGB Ha OIII SII Filters,
Reducer/Correctors: Celestron 0.63 Reducer/Corrector, Starizona 0.65 Reducer
Mount: iOptron CEM35, Sky Watcher EQ6-Pro
Eyepieces: Number of 2" and 1.25" plus 2x,3x, and 5x barlows.
markjob

Re: Polar alignment newbie question

Post by markjob »

Fred,

My process for polar align is as follows:

Setup with the mount on the tripod (the tripod must be level) use a level app on my phone to set the altitude and azimuth as close as I can based on my location in longitude and latitude.

Then I use my hand control or my control software to point to the Sun. Using a SOLAR finder (WARNING!!!!! Do NOT USE any unfiiltered optics for viewing the SUN) on the mount I uses the altitude and azimuth adjustments on the mount to manually center the Sun in the finder. Then add the scope and wait for dark.

Then after dark I begin the process to complete the fine tuning of the polar alignment. I have used the iPolar by iOptron. I know other members have used the Polemaster by QHY. Other members have other methods. Maybe they can chime in too. Unfortunately this step requires a view of Polaris.

For my portable imaging rig I use this same process but without the iPolar steps. Then I use TheSkyX by Software Bisque which has steps for polar alignment built into the software along with a T-Point Alignment. This process allows me to set up without the need to see Polaris. This process also gives me a very accurate alignment which allows me to take 300s unguided exposures.

I have not tried to use an APP to attempt to do a polar alignment.

In the end you have to find a solution that works for you with the tools you have in your collection. In the end you are looking for as good of polar alignment for the tasks for the evening.

I hope this helps.

Clear skies,

Mark
FEH

Post by FEH »

Found a video using Polar Alignment Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2lwoJeQj44
Any one try this and if so how did it work for view and for imaging?
Scopes: Sky Quest 14" Dobsonian, Celestron C8, Explore Scientific ED102 APO
Guidescopes: 2 ZWO miniguide scopes with ZWO 120minis and red dot telrad
Imaging: ZWO MC533 Pro, ZWO 183MM Pro, ZWO , QHY183 color, ZWO EFW 8 x 2" Filter Wheel, LRGB Ha OIII SII Filters,
Reducer/Correctors: Celestron 0.63 Reducer/Corrector, Starizona 0.65 Reducer
Mount: iOptron CEM35, Sky Watcher EQ6-Pro
Eyepieces: Number of 2" and 1.25" plus 2x,3x, and 5x barlows.
tugger

Post by tugger »

Viewing will probably be fine. If you want to image it is highly recommended you get the polemaster or ipolar
ddn

Post by ddn »

Hi Fred, I have two CEM mounts. A CEM40 and a CEM26.

My polar alignment process is similar to Mark's. The solar finder works very well.

I do have the app you mentioned. It works well. I put it in the saddle to get the altitude closer. Be careful of trusting the compass reading. I think they use magnetic North and then calculate true north from that and magnetic declination based on your location.

I also use an iPolar built into both my mounts. The iPolar uses plate solving and Polaris does not need to be in the field of view. Just enough stars to determine where the location of the Celestial North Pole. With the PoleMaster you must be able to see Polaris.

Doug N.
Doug Neverman
tneutgens

Post by tneutgens »

tugger wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:06 pm Viewing will probably be fine. If you want to image it is highly recommended you get the polemaster or ipolar
Still pushing the Polemaster I see. :)
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Sorry if this is obvious, but if you are doing visual observing, you can get away with a very rough polar alignment. Just use a compass to point the mount north, level it, then set the altitude to your latitude. Around here, just use 45°. Once you are observing, you will find that you only have to make small manual adjustments every now and then.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org