Ten Years Ago: Where Were You When Curiosity Landed on Mars?

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Ron Schmit

Ten Years Ago: Where Were You When Curiosity Landed on Mars?

Post by Ron Schmit »

Celebrating the 10th anniversary of Curiosity landing on Mars!

With all their daring-do and cutting edge technology, the robots are only the evidence of the real story of JPL. Oh sure, the robots get all the attention, and the mission patches, and the Twitter accounts... But the real wonder comes when you look at the people behind these technological marvels. The robots are simply the avatars for the spirit of exploration imbued within each and every individual that laid a hand on these things.

https://youtu.be/zervvVw2dnU

"Touchdown confirmed. We are safe on Mars!"

Not "It."

Not "Curiosity."

Not "The lander."

Not "The Mars Science Laboratory."

"We!"

Curiosity_Landing_10.jpg
Curiosity_Landing_10.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 4275 times
Last edited by Ron Schmit on Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
SEmert

Re: Ten Years Ago: Where Were You When Curiosity Landed on Mars?

Post by SEmert »

Wow! It's been ten years already? I was at my computer, watching it. It's amazing how much better the experience was than when watching the Spirit rover landing. So much more bandwidth!
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
markjob

Re: Ten Years Ago: Where Were You When Curiosity Landed on Mars?

Post by markjob »

I was watching live too.

I was fascinated, I can't even imagine the tension in the room until the response "Touchdown confirmed!" was heard.

I felt that same tension on the landing of the Perseverance rover landing, even though this was not a new thing.

Pretty cool.