Oct. Beginner Group Observing Session -- Sat. Oct. 15th CANCELLED

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

Oct. Beginner Group Observing Session -- Sat. Oct. 15th CANCELLED

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The next MAS Beginner group (B-SIG) observing session is scheduled for Saturday October 15th at Metcalf Field at Belwin Conservancy, near Afton (weather permitting). It will start at 6:00pm (sunset is at 6:27pm that night). If it is cloudy on Saturday night, the backup night will be the previous night (Friday Oct. 14th) also at Metcalf Field.

There are no COVID restrictions for this outdoor activity. If you are planning to attend please respond here (with your e-mail address) or drop me an e-mail at sureshks1@msn.com so I can keep you informed of changes due to weather.

Everyone is welcome at MAS Beginner events, and there is no charge to attend!! So bring your family and friends. The purpose of these events is to help beginners learn the night sky, and how to set up and use a telescope. Volunteers from the MAS will be on hand to answer your questions.

You do not need to bring any equipment to attend, but if you have a telescope... bring it!! If you need help with learning how to set up and use it, we are happy to help. There is AC power available at Metcalf Field, so if you need power to run your telescope or other equipment, just bring an extension cord so you can connect!!

The Moon will be nearing 3rd Quarter (illuminated 65%), and will rise around 10pm. With Astronomical Dusk around 8:00pm, this gives us about three hours of darker sky till the Moon's light starts to take effect. October is also a great time of year to be outside observing. The Summer Milky Way is still high overhead after dark and the Fall sky follows soon afterwards in the east. This gives us a myriad of nebulae, clusters and galaxies to view thru our telescopes. Dusk also brings beautiful views of the planets Saturn, Neptune and Jupiter... followed a few hours later by Uranus and Mars!

If you'd like to join us, please bring a lawn chair or blanket. Also, bring a few extra clothing layers as temps can dip at night.

Directions to Metcalf Field: (see this Google Maps link): https://goo.gl/maps/UNkt67YPWg4qAjuP6

Metcalf Field GPS Coordinates: 44.93734 N / 92.82157 W

For more information on Metcalf Field, see here: http://www.mnastro.org/facilities/metcalf/

Driving Directions:
Head east past Woodbury on I-94 to the Manning exit (exit 253). Turn south and then take the first left onto Hudson Road S. Continue east about 1.5 miles and turn right onto Indian Trail. Check your odometer here, and then travel 1.1 miles. You'll see an unmarked chain-link gate on the right side. This is the entrance to Metcalf field. There will be a white "MAS" sign and 2 small reflectors on poles marking the entrance.

When you arrive, enter the dirt path and park on the left side. If you have a telescope with you, you can also park on the right (north side) of the field. If we have a large crowd, we may have someone at the front to direct you to a parking spot.

If you haven't been to Metcalf Field, it can be a little difficult to locate the entrance. So please arrive in daylight.

I will make the final Go/No Go call weather call on the evening of Thursday 10/13. Please check this thread for updates, or e-mail me at sureshks1@msn.com to stay informed.

Also, if you'd like to volunteer to help out at future Beginner group events, please let me know.

We hope to see you there!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Sureshks

Re: Oct. Beginner Group Observing Session -- Fri. Oct. 14th -- 6:00pm IS A GO!!

Post by Sureshks »

Hello everyone,

Based on the weather forecast for this weekend, we've decided to move this month's BSIG observing event to Friday Oct. 14th at Metcalf Field. We will start at 6:00pm. Please plan on arriving before sunset (6:30pm), as it can be difficult to find the entrance in the dark. There will be a white MAS sign and two reflectors on poles marking the entrance.

Please dress warmly, as temps are expected to dip into the low 30s during the night.

We hope to see you!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Sureshks

Re: Oct. Beginner Group Observing Session -- Fri. Oct. 14th CANCELLED -- Trying for Sat. Oct. 15th

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

I hate to keep inconveniencing people with these date changes, but the weather forecasts shifted again today. What's making this difficult is that the various forecasts have not been in agreement with each other, and they have been changing seemingly every hour.

Some of the forecasts say both Fri/Sat nights will be bad. Some forecasts tonight may be decent, and others say tomorrow could be better. But most seem to agree that tonight may not be good enough to try, at least till after 10pm. I'm not too excited to have it tonight either with the wet ground after today's snow (!?!). Also, tomorrow night will be about 10F warmer than tonight.

So we are cancelling it for Friday night and will try again for Saturday night at 6:00pm. We will review the forecasts again tomorrow afternoon, and I will post another update here around 3:00pm on Saturday.

Again, I'm sorry for the late changes. Weather forecasting can be difficult!!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Sureshks

Re: Oct. Beginner Group Observing Session -- Sat. Oct. 15th CANCELLED

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, the weather gods are not with us this weekend. We got the call right last night, as it was raining at the field around 6:30pm. It did eventually clear, but it would not have been optimal to be driving our vehicles and setting up telescopes on the wet field and then dealing with the cold damp 35F air all night.

Tonight's forecast has not improved. There's a chance of some clearing around midnight, but aside from that it looks like tonight will be cloudy. So we are cancelling it again for tonight. This was our last scheduled beginner observing session for 2022.

We will resume our Fall/Winter online Zoom presentations on December 17th at 1:00pm. Our own Claire Weaverling will be presenting The Winter Constellations.

We will start up the outdoor observing sessions again at Metcalf Field next April or May, once the field dries out from the winter snow and ice. If you would like to be informed about future MAS Beginner Group events, just let me know and I will add you to our distribution list.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

gna

Post by gna »

It's going to be clear and warm this weekend--maybe have a beginner night Saturday the 22nd?

I may go out to Metcalf field Saturday evening anyway...
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Sorry, but a bunch of us will be headed out of town this weekend.

If you go to Metcalf, have an excellent time! The Porta potty should still be usable for another week or two. But check it before you use it.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

wenzelku5t

Post by wenzelku5t »

Electricity will still be on too?
I may swing out there Sat or Sun night which ever is warmer and clear.
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Yes, electricity stays on year-round. Just the porta potty is sterilized and closed during the cold months.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm