Need advice for a School Based Astronomy Program

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
bmurr24

Need advice for a School Based Astronomy Program

Post by bmurr24 »

I am looking for advice on starting and maintaining a Star Party based enrichment program for my school, and possibly surrounding schools, in a high light pollution environment.
- Firstly, do you have any advice on how to provide enrichment beyond simply pointing scopes at bright objects? Specifically, are there any good mini-lessons or unique observations that I should use?
- Secondly, what is a good method for providing a variety of targets for different parts of the year?
- Finally, I have two very beginner scopes in addition to my reflector, a Meade Infinity 50 and an old 2 inch celestron. Do you have any pointers for improving these, mounting, finder, better lenses, etc, at a relatively cheap price?
zimitsj

Re: Need advice for a School Based Astronomy Program

Post by zimitsj »

Hello Ben,
I am currently running a program at an elementary school and would be glad to share my experience and help you out with this. I will be out of town until the 20th. I will reach out to you when I return.
John Zimitsch
MAS Vice President 2022-Present
SCT: C8 Classic
Newts: 6” f/8 and f/4.2, both homemade
Bino: 15X70 SkyMaster on a homemade p-mount
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

bmurr24 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:03 pm I am looking for advice on starting and maintaining a Star Party based enrichment program for my school, and possibly surrounding schools, in a high light pollution environment.
Ben: I have a program at Jackson Middle School in Champlin (https://www.ahschools.us/Page/3846). I would be happy to answer any questions you may have and discuss ideas for your program. Let me know how I can help!

Ron Schmit
Observatory Coordinator
Jackson Middle School, 6000 109th Ave N, Champlin, MN 55316
Phone: 763-506-3940
www.ahschools.us
bmurr24

Post by bmurr24 »

Thanks for the help. My friend and I would like to know if either of you can meet on zoom. Would 3 P.M. on Sunday work? We are excited to learn more.
zimitsj

Post by zimitsj »

Ben: Were you able to connect with Ron on this? I am back in town and am happy to discuss this with you.
John Zimitsch
MAS Vice President 2022-Present
SCT: C8 Classic
Newts: 6” f/8 and f/4.2, both homemade
Bino: 15X70 SkyMaster on a homemade p-mount