Exoplanets in Resonant Chains - Fri. April 28th - 7:00pm

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Sureshks

Exoplanets in Resonant Chains - Fri. April 28th - 7:00pm

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

My friend David in the Geological Society of Minnesota forwarded me an invite to an upcoming presentation by the State Microscopial Society of Illinois titled "Exoplanets in Resonant Chains", by Dr. Daniel Febrycky, Assoc. Professor of Astronomy & Astrophysics at the University of Chicago. I thought I'd forward.

The presentation will start at 7:00pm CT on Friday April 28th.

Abstract:

During planet formation, while embedded in a gas disk, planets are expected to be pushed into orbital-period resonance with each other. About 10 systems of three or more planets in "resonant chains" have been found orbiting other stars. Over the history of those systems, tides on the close-in planets, raised by the host stars, tend to spread the planetary orbits from each other. From these dynamics, we may soon infer the internal material properties of Earth-like and super-Earth exoplanets, with and without massive gaseous atmospheres.

Bio:

Daniel Fabrycky grew up in Arlington Heights, IL. After visiting the coasts for his education (Caltech physics BS, 2003; Princeton astrophysics PhD, 2007) and postdoctoral fellowships, he returned in 2012 and is now Professor in the Department of Astronomy & Astrophysics at the University of Chicago. His work has been recognized by the Sloan Research Fellowship in Physics and the inaugural Vera Rubin Early Career Prize from the Division on Dynamical Astronomy of the American Astronomical Society.

Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86471206472?p ... ErNG8zdz09

Meeting ID: 864 7120 6472
Passcode: 555794

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX