Bell Museum: Adventures of a Vatican Astronomer with Br. Guy Consolmagno | April 14 | 2:30 - 3:30 pm

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Ron Schmit

Bell Museum: Adventures of a Vatican Astronomer with Br. Guy Consolmagno | April 14 | 2:30 - 3:30 pm

Post by Ron Schmit »

Adventures of a Vatican Astronomer with Brother Guy Consolmagno
Friday | April 14, 2023 | 2:30 pm–3:30 pm

Br. Guy Consolmagno is both a Jesuit brother and a planetary scientist at the Vatican Observatory, which he has directed since 2016. Thanks to his Vatican connections, his work has sent him around the world several times to dozens of countries and every continent. In this talk he will share some of those adventures, from the meteorite fields of East Antarctica to the United Nations, and reflect on the larger meaning of our common experience as scientists… not only what we do, but why we do it.

Br. Guy J. Consolmagno, S.J. is the Director of the Vatican Observatory and President of the Vatican Observatory Foundation. A native of Detroit, Michigan, he earned undergraduate and master’s degrees from MIT, and a Ph.D. in Planetary Science from the University of Arizona; he was a postdoctoral research fellow at Harvard and MIT, served in the US Peace Corps (Kenya), and taught university physics at Lafayette College before entering the Jesuits in 1989. He is the curator of the Vatican Meteorite Collection and was the 2014 recipient of the Carl Sagan Medal for outstanding communication by the Division for Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Society.
Ron Schmit

Re: Bell Museum: Adventures of a Vatican Astronomer with Br. Guy Consolmagno | April 14 | 2:30 - 3:30 pm

Post by Ron Schmit »

Just found out Brother Guy will also be presenting at:

Public Talk - University of St Thomas, Sunday April 16, 12:30 pm

Anderson Lecture in Science & Religion - McNamara, Great Hall, Monday April 17, 7:00 pm

Meteorite Talk - UMN School of Earth & Environmental Science and Minnesota Institute for Astrophysics, Tuesday April 18, 3:30 pm
SEmert

Re: Bell Museum: Adventures of a Vatican Astronomer with Br. Guy Consolmagno | April 14 | 2:30 - 3:30 pm

Post by SEmert »

Thanks for posting these announcements, Ron. I went to Brother Guy's talk at the Bell Museum on Friday April 14 and it was great!
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

I saw him at McNamara. Not sure if this link will work, but here is access to the stream:

https://youtu.be/LjngzmGRSEE?t=1

*Fixed it*
Last edited by Ron Schmit on Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Ron Schmit wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:47 am I saw him at McNamara. Not sure if this link will work, but here is access to the stream:

https://www.youtube.com/live/LjngzmGRSEE
It works, but it’s the link to the section where he answers your question.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org