2024 Solar eclipse planning

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Thor

2024 Solar eclipse planning

Post by Thor »

Last spring I made a road trip to Texas to do reconnaissance for the solar eclipse of 2024. I have had various distractions since, but have finally completed a writeup of my experience, including notes of candidate observing sites. I was looking specifically for a campground or inexpensive lodge that might host a small group of eclipse viewers who prefer to not spend the subsequent 12 hours in traffic. Alas, unlike planning for the previous American eclipse in 2017, I was already too late. The choice locations near the centerline were either already booked, or could not yet be booked (due to reservation system constraints).

Anyway, I offer my notes in this sequence of blog posts for anyone contemplating going to Texas for the event. The series starts at: http://thorolson.com/2022/08/26/eclipse ... naissance/
and can be followed using the next/previous links at the bottom of each post.

It is mostly a travelogue; the core of the eclipse reconnaissance info can be found in the following pages:
http://thorolson.com/2022/08/27/texas-r ... t-the-top/
http://thorolson.com/2022/08/28/texas-r ... se-survey/
http://thorolson.com/2022/11/08/texas-r ... e-resumes/

There's also a writeup of my visit to McDonald Observatory, a few hours drive from the eclipse path and near Fort Davis, where I recorded a lunar eclipse:
http://thorolson.com/2022/08/31/texas-r ... -practice/
http://thorolson.com/2022/11/07/texas-r ... r-eclipse/

Thor.
petemn2004

Re: 2024 Solar eclipse planning

Post by petemn2004 »

Less than one year away for the last Total Solar Eclipse to go across the continental United States until 2044.

I captured an image last on Saturday April 8th (one year from the day) showing the cloud cover over the path of totality from Texas to Indiana. You would of had a tough time seeing totality from Texas with that cloud cover (except northeast Texas). However, based on 18 years of historically data Texas is most favored along the eclipse path in the continental United States.

Mark
Cloud Cover Texas to Indiana April 8, 2023
Cloud Cover Texas to Indiana April 8, 2023
Clouds_2023_04_08_19_16_UTC.png (903.09 KiB) Viewed 8698 times
Historic Average Cloud Cover April 8th
Historic Average Cloud Cover April 8th
Average Cloud Cover.png (2.48 MiB) Viewed 8698 times
petemn2004

Post by petemn2004 »

Attached is a map showing the April Median Cloud cover and the path of the total solar eclipse.

Mark
April Median Cloud Cover
April Median Cloud Cover
April-Median-Cloud-Amount.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 8648 times
tim@harincar.com

Post by tim@harincar.com »

Yeah I was just thinking this past weekend that I should start making a plan for what I'm going to do...
---
tim harincar
minneapolis
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

[rant]

Right now I'm feeling rather defeated by hotel reservation systems!

My preference is to use Holiday Inn Express whenever possible (consistent hotel experience, and I get points that occasionally gives me a free stay), and whether it's IHG or different chains, I prefer to use the hotel chain's own reservation system instead of booking.com or travelocity.com or such, to avoid the hassles of a third party reservation system and paying through a third party.

I've was trying to book a room via the IHG web site. But it doesn't allow you to reserve out a full year. Finally, last night sufficient time elapsed that the calendar showed I could reserve Saturday April 6, 2024 (I want a couple days stay, but it only allows check in on non-blocked days, and checkout on the first blocked day on the calendar, so was going to just do the first night and either call to extend or just make separate reservations for three nights). Tried reserving a room for the first night online, but it says "no rooms available at this property". For several properties in the area of totality. Called the hotel directly, and she said, no, they can't make reservations past 10 months out. Just to test it, I tried a hotel nowhere near the line of totality. Same result: "no rooms available at this property". Also, I went back a couple weeks, into March 2024, and it would let me book a room.

Ok, so apparently it's not just that the rooms for the solar eclipse are actually booked, it's a system limitation.

If an online reservation system shows a date not blocked in the calendar, why in the bloody blue blazes does the back end system not allow the reservation to be made?!

[/rant]
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
clayton

Post by clayton »

[rant 2]
The Arkansas State Park cabins I was hoping for booked up before I made reservations. They claim a special 4 night minimum but the reservation calendar shows accommodations booked 3 nights starting Friday with Monday night being open. Could have stayed nearby then moved in on eclipse path on the 8th. Tried phone booking. Told nights booked. !?

Little Rock and Hot Springs area VRBO expensive. Moved to looking at commercial cabin rentals in Mena AK area. Nearby is the Ouachita National Forrest to explore. Many Cabins very popular for the ATV crowd. Found a nice huge place for 10 people (extensive family joining) expensive but not crazy for 4 days but calendar not active for those dates. Called to have them quote. Said would get back to me , never did, Check in site again in two days. Calendar booking allowed at 3x the booking rate of the weekend before. Called another cabin owner who did not have online booking. They said his was booked 2 years ago and most people were charging 2.5x to 3x normal rates. Aargh.

[/rant]

Found and booked VRBO cabin near Broken Bow, OK. Rates were elevated for weekend but not more than the season average. Long Drive (14hrs) from MN but fair compromise with family flying into Dallas and Traveling from the Southeast.

[rant 3]
After tax and fees that apply immediately I had to place deposit equal to 2/3's the total price. Considering inflation that sucks. 50% is more normal.
[/rant 3]

Of course the cloud average is 55% so going to be really lucky to have clear skies. If cloudy in OK can head toward Dallas or Little Rock on eclipse day. A big difference from the 35-38% chance of clouds in Casper WY in 2017. The nice thing is the cabin in OK is Bortle 3 and Bortle 2 is 20 mins away.
Clayton Lindsey
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Following on my earlier rant...

I've come to the tentative conclusion that, at least for regular hotels, all the hype of planning the eclipse trip a full year in advance can be counterproductive and anxiety generating. It's certainly different for resort destinations and AirBnB and VRBO as Clayton described, however.

A few days ago enough time had elapsed that the reservation system actually allowed me to book a hotel room a few miles off the center line of the eclipse, in a suburb east of Dallas. And even better, the price I reserved it at wasn't even inflated! So, my eclipse hotel anxiety level swiftly plummeted from 100% to 0%. Now... to wait for the travel reservation systems to open up for flights and car rentals... but DFW is a huge airport so I'm not TOO worried about that.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
markjob

Post by markjob »

For those planning I came across this presentation.
Fred does a great job with history but also has many tips and information to help plan. Pretty complete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHrOWej ... redEspenak
Nick Paratore

Post by Nick Paratore »

markjob wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:04 pm For those planning I came across this presentation.
Fred does a great job with history but also has many tips and information to help plan. Pretty complete.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHrOWej ... redEspenak
Great video! Thanks for sharing!
Nick Paratore
MAS member - ELO keyholder
Kpierce655

Post by Kpierce655 »

Great information and video from you all!

I'm late in this conversation but my wife and me along with another couple have recently decided to go to Austin next April to see our first total solar eclipse! Very exciting to say the least!! I already have an Airbnb reserved from Sunday through Wednesday so there will be time to do other things as well. Of course, Monday will be reserved for the eclipse. :)

Looking at the eclipse path tells me that I'll be on the edge of the center of the totality but I plan on driving W or NW to get the best view. That is, unless anyone can tell me if there is a specific location to drive to in order to have the best view of the eclipse??
Kevin Pierce

StarSeeker IV 130mm GoTo Reflector
ELO Keyholder
clayton

Post by clayton »

No specific place to suggest but plan to travel early and potentially stay late as some local metro areas experienced big traffic jams last eclipse.
Clayton Lindsey
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

clayton wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 12:53 pm No specific place to suggest but plan to travel early and potentially stay late as some local metro areas experienced big traffic jams last eclipse.
Also NON-metro areas.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Kpierce655

Post by Kpierce655 »

Okay, good. Thanks for the great tips!
Kevin Pierce

StarSeeker IV 130mm GoTo Reflector
ELO Keyholder