December B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Dec. 16th -- 1:00pm -- "Evenings at the Cosmic Smorgasbord"

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Sureshks

December B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Dec. 16th -- 1:00pm -- "Evenings at the Cosmic Smorgasbord"

Post by Sureshks »

Hi everyone,

The first virtual B-SIG presentation of the 2023-24 Winter season will be on Saturday December 16th, starting at 1:00pm.

Bob King will be presenting "Evenings at the Cosmic Smorgasbord".

Synopsis:

"How far is the closest black hole? What's a bipolar nebula? What color are Saturn's auroras? We'll explore these questions and more as we examine a selection of extraterrestrial morsels."

Bob is a contributing editor at Sky & Telescope magazines and is extremely passionate about astronomy. He is an avid observer, and loves to view the Northern Lights from outside of Duluth, where he lives.

To join the virtual event, click this link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/83109254455?p ... blpPA451.1

Meeting ID: 831 0925 4455
Passcode: 657688

Note: We will be opening up this link about 10 minutes before the event starts.

We hope you can join us!

Suresh Sreenivasan
MAS Beginner's Group Coordinator
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Jergo

Re: December B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Dec. 16th -- 1:00pm -- "Evenings at the Cosmic Smorgasbord"

Post by Jergo »

Just noticed the event! Busy day ahead, but I hope to attend. Thanks for coordinating it!
ScottF

Re: December B-SIG Virtual Presentation -- Saturday Dec. 16th -- 1:00pm -- "Evenings at the Cosmic Smorgasbord"

Post by ScottF »

I want to thank Bob King and the MNAstro club for hosting this B-Sig event. I am a new member and just learning about astronomy, so the Cosmic Smorgasbord was so much fun and interesting to watch. I hope there are more B-Sig events like this. For beginners, each topic is so important. Something I'd like to see is an "expectations" class, and what sort of viewing can a person expect from a refractor or a 6" or 8" SC for example. It's one thing to marvel at Hubble telescope photos, but I'd like to find out what is possible from an 8" SC for example for both planetary viewing as well as astrophotography. Thanks again. Scott F
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi all,

We had 25 people attend yesterday's amazing BSIG presentation by Bob King. A good turnout!

For those who missed it, or want to watch it again, here is a link to the recording on the MAS You Tube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jft_MJHGYTQ

The next BSIG presentation will be on Sat. Jan. 20th at 1:00pm. Mike Shaw will be presenting on Photographing the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse.

We hope you can join us!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the MAS!!

What you are asking is exactly what we do during our outdoor BSIG observing sessions at Metcalf Field, near Afton. These run monthly from ~ April thru October. We typically have 30-40 telescopes of various types and sizes set up across the field, including 8" SCTs. You can see what each telescope can do on different objects, such as galaxies, nebulas, clusters and planets. We also have some imagers present, who can show you how they capture objects in amazing detail.

We hope you can join us when we head back outside in the Spring!! If you have any specific questions re: telescopes, imaging or the BSIG program, feel free to PM me.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm