Pretty Crater Lake video of clouded-out annular eclipse

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Michael Kauper

Pretty Crater Lake video of clouded-out annular eclipse

Post by Michael Kauper »

Crater Lake eclipse video -- clouded out. Beautiful scene with amazing racing clouds.

I have posted on Facebook a time-lapse video of the October 2023 annular eclipse, totally clouded out, from beautiful Crater Lake National Park. Layers of clouds racing in two directions. Darkens to near black about two minutes into the video.

https://www.facebook.com/michael.kauper ... 5432492970

Video is about three minutes long, from one hour before annularity to about 15 minutes after annularity. Composed of approximately 6,000 individual frames, combined with Microsoft Movie Make Pro ($9.00). 12 mm Rokinon fish eye lens, Canon Ra mirrorless astronomy camera. I love the Rokinon lens. No filter.

I did NOT bring this video to our monthly meeting. I feel people might see it as a waste of time. I loved Crater Lake National Park. I am happy with this pretty video even though we failed to see the eclipse.

Crater Lake National Park was crowded on eclipse day. We arrived about three hours before annularity. Easily found a parking space and a fine viewing site. Very cold, extremely windy. We needed fairly big rocks to secure the tripods. Challenging working conditions.
Deane Clark

Re: Pretty Crater Lake video of clouded-out annular eclipse

Post by Deane Clark »

Very dramatic! I’m glad you had a good time :)
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org