Celestron Sky Portal question

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Boese1978

Celestron Sky Portal question

Post by Boese1978 »

Hello,
Hopefully this is a good spot to post this-
Using a CGEM II with a 8"SCT. Have the wifi working fine. Having an issue with the focus motor and the SP app and hoping for some input as the Celestron help desk is HORRIBLE and un responsive.
Details- the focus motor, when using the SP App only, does not have the "move in move out" option as the hand controller does. It is impossible to focus because after focusing and letting go of the "knob" on the app. the mount automatically returns to the "move to" position and then it is obviously out of focus. Thoughts??? I could use the HC but that is nearly impossible to read in the dark / with red light.
Thanks!!
Sureshks

Re: Celestron Sky Portal question

Post by Sureshks »

Hi Boese,

My suggestion would be for you to bring it to the next BSIG observing session, which is currently scheduled for Sat. April 27th at Metcalf Field near Afton. We'll have several MAS volunteers on hand there, and someone should be able to help you get it working.

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Altouch

Post by Altouch »

If you bring it to the next B-SIG, I'll be there and will try to debug it with you. I've been reading about, and playing with SkyPortal, but I don't have a focuser attached. I am familiar with SkySafari on which SkyPortal is based. We should be able to figure out the focuser or what the issue may be.
-Alan Touchberry.
Michael6

Post by Michael6 »

Unfortunately, the SkyPortal and SkySafari user interfaces are basically unusable with the Celestron focus motor (as you have noted). I use SkySafari for GoTo and the Celestron hand controller for slewing and focusing. The hand controller works well with gloves and without looking at it once it is in the focuser: move in/out mode. If you are having trouble reading the hand controller display, be aware that the hand controller has settings for the backlight brightness and LCD contrast.
Michael Haase
Boese1978

Post by Boese1978 »

Thank you for the replies. I’ll plan on attending the Metcalf gathering at the end of April. What time do people start stetting up?
Thanks again!
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Start time for the 4/27 BSIG will be 7pm.

We'll see you there!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
Boese1978

Post by Boese1978 »

SP issue update,
Celestron did get back to me, the automatic movement of the focuser motor noted above is to eliminate any back lash I’m told. Sure doesn’t make it any easier! So I am doing as suggested above, hand controller for skewing and focus motor and iPhone app for go to etc.
regarding the dimming and contrast adjustments available on the HC, no help, the running script line on the HC is impossible to read under low / red light, the text all blurs together as it scrolls across the screen ( line 2 of the 2 lines of text displayed) no matter how one adjusts the contrast and brightness.