First galaxy and nebula

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

imkirok

First galaxy and nebula

Post by imkirok »

Had a great experience over the weekend. On Friday night, I set up at our cabin about 1 hour east of the cities in Wisconsin. A perfect night. Cool, no clouds, no wind, very dark. I had been getting frustrated that I wasn't seeing DSOs, either because I wasn't patient enough to hunt them down or because I didn't know what I was looking for.

I decided to go for some easier stuff to locate, at least according to the mags and books I have. (I'm using a Nextron 102 GT). I got a good alignment and used the Goto to find the Andromeda Galaxy. I used my 25mm, and sure enough, there it was! It took up almost the entire fov. I was relieved that my scope actually worked and that I could find something.

After playing with various filters (lt. blue worked best on the galaxy), I decided to push my luck and go for the Ring Nebula. My alignment was still on, so I programmed it in, and sure enough, there it was. I went down to my 10mm, and it looked like a tiny little circle, but it was enough to see. Very cool. At that point, I discovered that my 2x barlow was missing (I'm blaming my wife:)), and I gave up for the night.

But it was a great experience. I won't forget my first DSO experience. :D :D :D
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

Now ya just gotta try them 2 without the computer. :wink:
mlfj4901

Post by mlfj4901 »

Greetings,

Congratulations!

I have to admit my first viewing of the ring nebula, just two months ago, was a mixture of joy and disappointment.

I have long known that DSOs are nothing like what we see in magazines and the like; I was however not expecting it to be so darn small! I was overjoyed I had found it all though, and after getting over the initial disappointment, spent almost 1/2 an hour gazing at it.

Happy hunting!

-matt
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

I recently fount the saturn nebula. I was expecting it to look like saturn. Instead, it's blue. WTF? lol But yea, when you spend hrs trying to find something over the period of several sessions, regardless of how boring or unimpressive the object is it's more the hunt that counts.
imkirok

Post by imkirok »

[quote="Starforce2"]Now ya just gotta try them 2 without the computer. :wink:[/quote]

When I get to the point in my life where I have the time to starhop or learn my way around the skies better, I probably will. But for now, I only get to put up the scope on limited occasions, and even then there are usually kids running around or some other distraction. So, if the computer can get me there quicker and I can save myself the frustration of not being able to locate objects, I'll take it!!!!
mlfj4901

Post by mlfj4901 »

Greetings,

Quite a number of people that I've met in the MAS actually perfer computers over starhopping. Espcecially when kids want to look through the scope. Short attention spans and the like.

-matt
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

I still can't get my computer to work. :roll: