New Horizons Secondary Goals?

Topics related to manned space missions

Moderator: clayton

Gomanson

New Horizons Secondary Goals?

Post by Gomanson »

Does anyoneone know if there are any goals or plans for New Horizons after Pluto? I haven't been able to find much info on the actual rendezvous with Pluto, but I assume it will be a flyby. (correct?) Assuming that's right, which direction will they shoot it off eventually? Is there any way to use the probe for more exploration of further kuiper belt objects? Do we know the orbits of the lesser worlds well enough to aim the probe at one, hoping ultimately to get some closer images or data on them (anything is better than a speck of light)?
-Ross
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Yes, this will be a flyby, and there are plans to send New Horizons on to another Kuiper Belt object, though they haven't made a specific choice yet. I think they'll need to choose their second destination before they get to Pluto so they can aim the craft right so that their billiard shot heads off in the right direction after Pluto.
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

And, assuming they get it launched, they've got 9 years to think about where to send it next, as that's how long it will take to get to Pluto!
Jon Hickman
youngsww

Post by youngsww »

How about some naked closeups of Charon Stone?

John
Gomanson

Post by Gomanson »

youngsww wrote:How about some naked closeups of Charon Stone?
LOL!

Nine years is a good time...anyone know what the velocity (in relation to Earth) will be before and after Jupiter?
-Ross