Second outing, couple fuzzy pictures

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

MinnDon

Second outing, couple fuzzy pictures

Post by MinnDon »

I promise to settle down, soon, and not clutter this board with rank newbie enthusiasm, but I'm a bit pumped about getting my first images through the scope (C11XLT w/ eq mt).

We went out at about 5 AM this morning as Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, and Venus were all supposed to be out. We got decent peeks at Jupiter and Saturn, and then took a peak at Venus before packin it in. The moon also rose just before we left, so we slewed over to it, too. Saturn and Jupiter both had 4 moons in sight, and through the 40 mm eye piece (only one we've got right now) we could make out some different tones on Jupiter and Saturn.

As long as I had it with me I strapped my D100 to the scope and got a couple blurry shots. It was kinda windy, and the scope never really settled. Couple this with the fact that even at ISO 800 shutter speeds were at, or less than 1/125 sec = blurry.

Anyhow, here's a couple examples - a crude starting point to improve upon (I think I see a CCD camera in our future). Oh, and a surprising fact I hadn't anticipated: the low elevation of the moon, in particular, revealed a lot of heat rising from the ground. I wouldn't have guessed this would be the case with temps in the low 20's, but I suppose all those furnaces running in all those buildings below all that air we had to look through added up to a fair amount of roiling air. Still kind of cool - reality is what it is, no point in hating it, just deal with it, right?

Saturn (cropped down from full frame - prime focus on C11)

Moon (full frame from Nikon D100 - prime focus on C11)
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

Nicely done, Don & Anne! Thanks for sharing with us.
Jon Hickman
youngsww

Re: Second outing, couple fuzzy pictures

Post by youngsww »

MinnDon wrote:I promise to settle down, soon, and not clutter this board with rank newbie enthusiasm,
Please DON"T settle down. Enthusiasm is ALWAYS welcome!

John "Still A Newbie" Young