4M at CGO this weekend, Sept 7/8

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

jjones7777

4M at CGO this weekend, Sept 7/8

Post by jjones7777 »

Greetings all,

This is reminder that the Mini-Messier-Marathon will take place at Cherry Grove this weekend, September 7/8. Kris Setnes, our resident weather-whiz, will be letting you know about the predictions as we get closer. As I will be out of town, Kristopher will also be calling Friday's GO/NO GO, and depending upon Friday, Saturday's GO/NO GO. Kristopher will also be coordinating the 4M competition. For those who want to be preparing ahead of time, you will find the 4M info (regarding the sheets and such) here at: http://www.mnastro.org/mini-messier-marathon/ .

Many thanks to Kris for picking up the ball on this one!
Jerry Jones
MAS Observing Co-Chair
Astronomical League Awards Coordinator
AL recognized Master Observer, Silver Level
15" "Eagle Eye"; 12.5" Obsession; C11 Edge in a SkyShedPod; 8" SCT; 152mm ES doublet; 105mm Mak; 94mm Brandon; 1957 Questar; 35mm Lunt Ha
setnes

Re: 4M at CGO this weekend, Sept 7/8

Post by setnes »

I want to take a moment to invite everybody to CGO this weekend (weather pending, of course) to the MAS Mini Messier Marathon. This is a great event for both experienced and beginner members with telescopes. Although this is a member star party, it is perfectly acceptable to bring a friend to share the experience with. It just makes a terrible spectator event.

I hope to be at Thursday's MAS meeting to promote the 4M.

I'm not a "weather-whiz" as Jerry suggests. I'll do my best with interpreting the weather sites though.

Let me know if there are questions.

Oh... I almost forgot. You can win MAS prizes by competing. :)
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I would like to know if anybody is going that is near the Blaine area but closer to lino lakes? I would like to see if I can get a ride. I can pay you gas or food or both.
setnes

Post by setnes »

I'm not quite ready to call this yet, but Saturday still looks better than Friday. The Clear Outside chart is probably the least forgiving of tonight's forecast, but shows the difference well. I will wait for the forecast to update before making an official call.

Clear_Outside_2018-09-07_09-57-37.png
Clear_Outside_2018-09-07_09-57-37.png (37.25 KiB) Viewed 1641 times

Also, a question came up about GO-TO and PUSH-TO. Although this has been done different ways in the past, it is hard to have a level playing field without splitting prize pools. I'm going to officially declare GO-TO and PUSH-TO computers off limits for the 2018 4M. (Sorry Matt) Sky tracking and motorized slewing is fine. The spirit of the competition is for YOU to find the object, not the TELESCOPE to find the object. Telescopes with these features are fine to use, you just need to make the final hops to the object yourself.
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

I was planning on using my go to scope but did not plan on entering the contest plus my red dot finder broke this week.

Hope that is ok?
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
setnes

Post by setnes »

This is a GO for Saturday night.

The forecast is not terrible for tonight either though depending on what forecast you look at, so I expect others might be at CGO both nights.

We will have the 4M on Saturday night.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

sandconp wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:40 pm I was planning on using my go to scope but did not plan on entering the contest plus my red dot finder broke this week.

Hope that is ok?
Of course. The 4M isn't a true Messier Marathon in the truest sense of the word. It's a chance to get out and see as many objects as you can see in the fall, and to perhaps have a little competition while doing so! Go-to is certainly fine, although Jerry or Kris would have to decide if you're eligible to win the contest using go-to.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
sandconp

Post by sandconp »

I ordered a Telrad Red Dot Finder from Starizona on Friday to replace the cheap one that came with my scope. I have seen a few others in the club that use it and they highly recommend it. To be honest, I have not taking the time to manually find things except for planets but I am very interested in learning how since I am only been in this hobby for 10 months. I have a star chart and I use Sky Safari to map out the sky so it does not look that difficult to find the objects. I am very interested in finding things on my own but I just haven't taken the time to learn it and that's my own fault because I was trying to do too much at once like trying to jump into imaging so soon. It's time to for me to step back and take a break with imaging and focus on what I can learn on about where objects are located in the sky.
Conrad Sanders

Celestron Evolution 8
Celestron CGX Mount
Celestron CPC 1100
Hyperstar
Lunt LS60MT Solar Scope
setnes

Post by setnes »

Here is the "official" observing list for tonight's event. I will print and bring several, but you can also print your own.

2018-09-08-M4-CGO.pdf
(79.16 KiB) Downloaded 78 times

I listed these in object number order instead of using any optimized observing order. We'll see how that goes this year. The rise/set times and max altitude information is all calculated for tonight at CGO. I think my source might be overly optimistic. Only a few objects are listed as "not visible."

I made a statement about GO-TO and PUSH TO being off limits. I don't want that to prevent anybody from coming to CGO tonight though. I just want the first, second, and third prizes to be awarded on an even playing field. Based on what Steve said, let's rephrase the rule to be "GO-TO and PUSH-TO are off limit for prizes." :)

I expect to take some heat about calling last night incorrectly. The forecast changed about an hour or so after we decided this should be Saturday instead of Friday. (I'm a rookie.) There is good news though. The weather looks outstanding for tonight!
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

setnes wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:34 pm I expect to take some heat about calling last night incorrectly. The forecast changed about an hour or so after we decided this should be Saturday instead of Friday. (I'm a rookie.) There is good news though. The weather looks outstanding for tonight!
Now you know why we no longer perform a "go/no-go call" for regular star parties! It is all too easy to make an overly pessimistic or overly optimistic call. Anyone who has ever tried has guessed wrong at least a couple of times! It comes with the territory!
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
setnes

Post by setnes »

Please note the directions to CGO to avoid construction.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

Thanks for putting on a great event last night, Kris! Turnout was great (lot full plus people parked on road), and the skies were beautiful. I left about 3:30 am, and only Kris and one other were still there packing up. We got a nice look at M42 through Kris’ 12.3” dob as the icing on the cake at the end. The only slight fly in the ointment was the sheriffs deputy showing up with his bright flashlight wondering what was going on. Luckily he was easily convinced we were not a bunch of ne’re-do-wells having an illicit kegger :)
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
setnes

Post by setnes »

It was an outstanding night... one of the best skies I've seen at CGO.

1st Place (49 Objects): Deane Clark
2nd Place (32 Objects): Miles Hanson
3rd Place (22 Objects): Claire Weaverling

Congratulations! I hope we can coordinate prize selection at the next MAS meeting.

In addition to the Messier objects, many of us had fun looking at comet Comet 21P/Giacobini-Zinner. We could easily make out the comet's tail.