Behind the curve

Forum for the discussion of astronomy books, magazines, movies, documentaries, web videos, astronomy apps, etc.

Moderator: Lilah

tugger

Behind the curve

Post by tugger »

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8132700/

It's on Netflix. I made it to poop sandwich and had to turn it off. Especially after the guy disproved himself while looking at Seattle.

Any word on when that next asteroid is going to hit us so Darwin can start over?
SEmert

Re: Behind the curve

Post by SEmert »

I thought it was hilarious when the one guy bought a ring laser gyroscope for $20K so he could disprove the Earth's rotation, but then it indicated a (surprise!!!) 15 degree per hour rotation. Then he says to another, "we gotta keep this confidential".

The best statement in the whole thing was by one of the Physicists at the end who said you can't win them over to reality by calling them idiots, but rather treat them instead as intelligent people that are just misguided, misinterpreting their observations, and just work with them to see the light.

...but having said that, it's sure hard not to laugh and shake your head.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
merle

Post by merle »

Moved to MAS Electronic Media & Book Group forum
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
tugger

Post by tugger »

SEmert wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:57 pm I thought it was hilarious when the one guy bought a ring laser gyroscope for $20K so he could disprove the Earth's rotation, but then it indicated a (surprise!!!) 15 degree per hour rotation. Then he says to another, "we gotta keep this confidential".

The best statement in the whole thing was by one of the Physicists at the end who said you can't win them over to reality by calling them idiots, but rather treat them instead as intelligent people that are just misguided, misinterpreting their observations, and just work with them to see the light.

...but having said that, it's sure hard not to laugh and shake your head.
I powered through it finally. Wow. WOW......

What about the experiment at the end?! He's got a pretty good point about being misguided. Regarding misguided though, the models they make wouldn't actually have 'night' since the air would scatter the light from the sun? I don't see how you'd get night.....but I'm misguided.
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

Yeah, none of their models stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Their answer is always, "perspective". And occasionally, "density". Besides believing the Earth is flat, they believe gravity is not real, and there must be a dome over our heads to hold the air in.

*Sigh*
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

SEmert wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:03 pm Yeah, none of their models stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Their answer is always, "perspective". And occasionally, "density". Besides believing the Earth is flat, they believe gravity is not real, and there must be a dome over our heads to hold the air in.

*Sigh*
Yeah, they’re pretty dense all right. 🙄
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
tugger

Post by tugger »

Deane Clark wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:29 pm
SEmert wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:03 pm Yeah, none of their models stand up to scientific scrutiny.

*Sigh*
Yeah, they’re pretty dense all right. 🙄
Nice