Dark Constellations

Forum for the discussion of astronomy books, magazines, movies, documentaries, web videos, astronomy apps, etc.

Moderator: Lilah

Ron Schmit

Dark Constellations

Post by Ron Schmit »

Sat through a webinar today that looked at the night sky as seen by indigenous peoples including Hawaiians, Lakota, and Inuit. One presenter mentioned a video out on ViewSpace called "Dark Constellations". It included a look at the constellations of the Incas; not in the patterns of the stars, but in the shapes of the cold gas and dust blocking distant star light. Pretty cool!

https://viewspace.org/assets/STScI-VS-D ... 565b8.webm
Gizmo

Re: Dark Constellations

Post by Gizmo »

That is pretty cool and very well made. I have a friend that is a hunting guide on the Crow Creek Indian reservation in South Dakota. Every time we go out hunting I bring my scopes. He will hang out very late while I setup for imaging. Last year (Fall 2018) he brought a bunch of school kids out to look, it was an impromptu Outreach program. One of the Elders that came with was talking about how they viewed the constellations and their names, The Great Bear and so on. I do remember him calling Polaris, the Star that does not walk. I have his contact information to talk to him more this year when I go back out.

Thanks for posting.