ISS Transit Finder

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
SEmert

ISS Transit Finder

Post by SEmert »

Just learned of this site - www.transit-finder.com - which provides you times and locations of ISS solar and lunar transits. What a surprise to see when I first tried it out that there was a lunar transit directly over my house just an hour before I looked at the site! Too bad it's completely overcast (and I saw the info after the fact). But there are a lot of transits coming up in the area.
ISS Moon Transit 2019-04-25 07-07-55.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
rdavidjohnson63

Re: ISS Transit Finder

Post by rdavidjohnson63 »

Yes. I have been keeping an eye on that also. I was all set to go try to get pictures this morning, but was bummed by the cloud layer.
My next change is 5/4 at 12:45 in Forest Lake. Crossing my fingers for clear sky's this early will probably cause cramps.
Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Mentor - JJC
Celestron CPC 925
Celestron 8SE
Celestron CGEM II mount
Stellarvue SV105
Lunt LS60T Ha w/Sky-Watcher - SolarQuest Alt-Azimuth Solar Mount
Astro-Tech AT102ED
ZWO - ASI294MC Pro
magneton

Post by magneton »

Yes, it's a cool site. I've used it in the past - easy to use. I like how it gives data on angular size/distance to the ISS so you can pick out when the best transits are. The exact path bounces around over time, so it's a good idea to verify it as the time gets close.
Jim Knudsen

10" Dobsonian telescope
15x70 binoculars
Canon XSi and 70D DSLR's
150 mm Mak-Cassegrain with alt-az and CG-5 mounts
markjob

Post by markjob »

I have used this site for years. I can attest the accuracy in location and timing is very good. I have obtained numerous solar transits and at least one lunar transit. One day last year I captured two solar transits in one day within 20 minutes of my house. Let me know if you have any questions. I can help.

Mark