"Newtonian Explanation of Galaxy Rotation Curves Based on Distribution of Baryonic Matter"

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
David R. Brandt

"Newtonian Explanation of Galaxy Rotation Curves Based on Distribution of Baryonic Matter"

Post by David R. Brandt »

Konstantin Pavlovich, Alex Pavlovich & Alan Sipols
June 9, 2014

"CONCLUSION
In this article we demonstrated that a broad spectrum of galaxy rotation curves can be explained without
either dark matter or modified gravity, but by accounting for the distribution of baryonic matter and
modeling its behavior strictly in accordance with the known law of gravity. Our Mass Density Model
provides a theoretical framework for understanding of galaxy rotation and practical tool for modeling
galaxy dynamics in relationship to its mass distribution. We also pointed two related mistakes of earlier
research which led to the “invention” of dark matter and modified gravity theories—first, the expectation
of Keplerian fall-off in circular velocities in galaxies similar to that in the Solar system, and, second, the
assumption of the entire galaxy mass as a spherically symmetric gravitational field due to a point source
for calculations inside the galaxy disk. Our results show that both are fundamentally incorrect."

https://arxiv.org/abs/1406.2401
The Universe is a Dangerous place. Let's not leave all of our eggs on one planet.
Deane Clark

Re: "Newtonian Explanation of Galaxy Rotation Curves Based on Distribution of Baryonic Matter"

Post by Deane Clark »

Interesting. They say their models make use only of Newtonian dynamics, but one would think general relativity should be included.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Deane Clark

Re: "Newtonian Explanation of Galaxy Rotation Curves Based on Distribution of Baryonic Matter"

Post by Deane Clark »

After reading through the paper fairly quickly, I noticed a couple areas that give me pause.
1 - They don’t seem to adequately explain their selection criteria for the real galaxies they used, other than implying they were ones with readily available rotation curves.
2 - Their mass density models for the galaxies seem to be based purely on optical luminosity. They don’t explain the source of their optical images, and they don’t mention anything about dust obscuring the stars whose luminance is standing in for mass.
3 - I didn’t look up the specific galaxies they used, but I wonder about the accuracy of their rotation curves relative to the mass density model’s ability to model their structure. It seems to me that it’s easier to get an accurate rotation curve from a more edge-on galaxy, but such a galaxy would be harder to “map” its asymmetries.

Maybe they were so happy with the fit of their curves that they didn’t want to get into any of the above.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
David R. Brandt

At first, when I read this 'paper,' I thought it was a hoax, but I'm a long time skeptic of 'dark matter' and MOND seems to be just a tweak of the math like a tweak of the epicycles when the observations got better. At least MOND didn't involve inventing VAST amounts of some kind of 'invisible' matter. I did a search on the authors and I couldn't find anything substantial. These guys could be amateurs, like me, and can’t push their hypothesis into more difficult areas of math.

Somewhere during my formal education, I think calculus, I remember hearing that collections of matter can be modeled as a single point. I have done some very rudimentary work on that and I discovered it isn't true until you get several radii away from the radius of the collection of matter so I tend to believe the method the authors used to model the galaxies.
The Universe is a Dangerous place. Let's not leave all of our eggs on one planet.
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

So, I only just realized this paper is five years old. Guess they really rocked the scientific world with this one, didn’t they? 😉

I also can’t find any evidence of the authors online using the names in the paper, except for an Alexander Pavlovich who got some kind of award for research papers by high school students in a Polish competition in 2006.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
David R. Brandt

I have written a 40 line BASIC program that verifies the method presented in the above referenced 'paper.'
David R. Brandt

BASIC256

https://osdn.net/projects/sfnet_kidbasi ... stall.exe/

dim RadiusA(9,9)
dim RadiusG(9,9)
dim Density(9,9)
dim Mass(9,9)
DensitySum=0
VelocitySum=0
MassG=2e+40
rem MassCalc = 0
G=6.67408e-11
MassTot=0

for x=0 to 8
for y=0 to 8
RadiusA [x,y]=sqrt(((x-4)^2)+((y-4)^2))
Density [x,y] = 1/(RadiusA [x,y]+ .1) rem ((1/(((RadiusA [x,y])^1.3)+1)))
if Density [x,y] > 1 then Density [x,y] =1
DensitySum = DensitySum + Density [x,y]
rem print x;" ";y;" ";" Radius= ";RadiusA [x,y];" Density= ";Density [x,y]
next y
next x
rem print " DensitySum= ";DensitySum

for x=0 to 8
for y=0 to 8
Mass [x,y] = (((MassG*Density [x,y]))/DensitySum)
rem print A;" ";x;" ";y;" Density= ";Density [x,y] rem ;" Mass= ";Mass [x,y]
next y
next x

for A=7 to 17
for x=0 to 8
for y=0 to 8
r = (A-4)*(9.5*10^15)*10000
Xb = -(x-4)*10000*9.461e+15
AB= sqrt((((y)-(4))^2)+(((x)-(x-A-1))^2))*(9.461e+19)
rem print x;" ";y;" Xb= ";Xb;" AB= ";AB;" A= ";A
next y
next x

for x=0 to 8
for y=0 to 8
Velocity = sqrt( G*r*((Mass [x,y]*(r-Xb))/((AB)^3)))
VelocitySum = VelocitySum+Velocity
next y
next x

print (A-4)*10000;" light years from the center ";" Velocity in Km/sec= ";VelocitySum/1000
VelocitySum=0
next A
rem print DensitySum
end