50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 - part 2

This is where you will find information and updates for all MAS Star Parties and Events open to the public.

Moderator: defalkner

merle

50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 - part 2

Post by merle »

This past Saturday, July 20, 2019, was the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 landing. The event at the Eagle Lake Observatory was a huge success with about 250 visiting during the day and into the night. The unique "exhibit" for this event was our full scale Lunar Module mockup and Apollo 11 landing site recreation on the ball field below the observatory. Everyone I spoke to were very impressed and thankful for our efforts in bringing the lunar site down to earth.

In case you missed it, I am scheduling an "Impromptu Public Star Party" for this Saturday, July 27th, beginning at 4:00 to once again set up our Apollo 11 landing site. Once again, you will be able to walk around our simulated lunar landing area to get a sense of how Armstrong and Aldrin worked and where the experiments, some of which are still used today, were deployed. This may be as close as any of us will get to actually walking in the astronauts footsteps. If clear, we will also be observing throughout the afternoon and evening with Jupiter and Saturn being prominent in the evening skies.

Continue to celebrate this historic event with the us at the Eagle Lake Observatory within Baylor Regional Park at 10775 County Rd. 33, Norwood Young America, MN 55397

Further information and updates are posted on the MAS website at www.mnastro.org

Merle Hiltner
Minnesota Astronomical Society
Eagle Lake Observatory Facility Director
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
SEmert

Re: 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 - part 2

Post by SEmert »

IMG_3804.JPG
IMG_3804.JPG (182.78 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
SEmert

Post by SEmert »

IMG_3794.JPG
IMG_3794.JPG (151.61 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Synta AZ-4 or Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
rdavidjohnson63

Post by rdavidjohnson63 »

I am going to make a short video of the pictures I took of the construction of the LEM as well as from the visitors last Saturday, to be shown at the August 1st meeting.
If you have pictures you would like me to include, please FTP them to me. Once you get logged into my FTP server, create a sub directory in the home directory of your name, such as dave.johnson, and put your pictures there. I will accept pictures until Monday noon, then start making the video.

Point your favorite sftp client (such as filezilla) to: rdavidjohnson63.dyndns.org
UserID to use is: mas
Password is: elolem2019
Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Mentor - JJC
Celestron CPC 925
Celestron 8SE
Celestron CGEM II mount
Stellarvue SV105
Lunt LS60T Ha w/Sky-Watcher - SolarQuest Alt-Azimuth Solar Mount
Astro-Tech AT102ED
ZWO - ASI294MC Pro