A 'Black Supermoon'? Oh, now you're REALLY asking for it!

This forum is for discussing all things astronomical that aren't directly related to the activities of the MAS.
Ron Schmit

A 'Black Supermoon'? Oh, now you're REALLY asking for it!

Post by Ron Schmit »

So the Delta Aquarids are here, and apparently you'll be able to see them REALLY well since we'll have a Black Moon! Oh, you don't know what that is? Why, that's when you have TWO New Moons in one month! So THAT'S going to be REALLY dark. But, not only that, it's going to be a Black SUPERMOON, so it will be... even MORE... darker..er...!?

Good grief!

https://www.thediscoverer.com/blog/a-bl ... ncredible/

Our work here is not yet finished.
Deane Clark

Re: A 'Black Supermoon'? Oh, now you're REALLY asking for it!

Post by Deane Clark »

LOL
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
merle

Post by merle »

Ron Schmit wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:11 am you have TWO New Moons in one month! So THAT'S going to be REALLY dark. But, not only that, it's going to be a Black SUPERMOON, so it will be... even MORE... darker..er...!?
EXTREMELY heavy sigh...

merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
rdavidjohnson63

Post by rdavidjohnson63 »

We were talking about this at dinner on Saturday. What do you call the second new moon in a month. We did not know, but someone did suggest black. Funny that was already propagated by others.
Sorry Merle.
Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Mentor - JJC
Celestron CPC 925
Celestron 8SE
Celestron CGEM II mount
Stellarvue SV105
Lunt LS60T Ha w/Sky-Watcher - SolarQuest Alt-Azimuth Solar Mount
Astro-Tech AT102ED
ZWO - ASI294MC Pro
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

What do you call the second first quarter moon in a month? A Double-D Moon? 😉
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
matt_2018

Post by matt_2018 »

I appreciate when astronomy gets some press, but unfortunately, the attention is often given at a facebook or twitter, sensationalized, sub-grade-school level. It's a shame - we can do better.
Matt
Matt Dunham
MAS Treasurer & member since 2018

Meade LX200RC 12-inch (my portable observatory)
Celestron SC-8" w/fork wedge (my travel scope)
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

These super moon “events” are probably all the result of online click bait. Too bad when otherwise reputable outlets like Chris Schaefer on WCCO, or CNET pick up on it. Groan.
Deane Clark
------------------------
www.aponon.org
Ron Schmit

Post by Ron Schmit »

ACTUAL quotes from ACTUAL news organizations. Oh, and these are just a few: CNET, CNN, CBS,... I didn't go digging just to find the worst, I grabbed whatever showed up in my Google News aggregator.

Please note that these are the same organizations that give us the rest of the news of the day, including activities of the government, details of pending legislation, police reports, international news, climate data, economic news...

Sorry, I don't mean to pile on, but when you KNOW the truth behind a story, and then see what they report, doesn't it give you pause to consider what other crap they might be making up?

Who would have thought that the realization of the Internet would dilute our news rather than enhance it. Our work here is not yet finished.

"What will I see during a black moon? Honestly, probably nothing." Probably??

"The black moon is also going to be a supermoon, meaning the moon will appear bigger than usual because it's closer to the Earth." No. No. No.

"Unfortunately for those in the UK, they won’t be able to see the black supermoon. It will only be viewable for stargazers in the US.
But for those lucky enough to catch a glimpse of it, the black supermoon will occur tonight, July 31." Dear Lord.

"These are the times you can see the black supermoon in North America..." Can't. See. It.

"“Although there’s not much to see when a Black Moon rises, the good news is that a moonless sky is excellent for stargazing,” There's NOTHING to see!

“It travels across the sky with the sun during the day. But the gravitational influence of the new moon and sun combine to physically affect our water planet, which people along the ocean coastlines may notice in the coming days." MAY notice? You mean the TIDE? The Spring Tide? Yes, I believe the people in coastal towns are quite familiar with something that happens EVERY. SINGLE. MONTH.

"Our natural satellite would look bigger than normal in the sky this week, but it's a supermoon in stealth mode." Stealth mode? You have got to be kidding me.

"An unusual type of supermoon is set to take the stage this week. It's called a "black supermoon," and what makes it unlike other so-called supermoons is that it's basically invisible." Yeah, basically.

"To actually see this black supermoon, however, would require special equipment and significant skywatching experience" A secret handshake would help, as well, I suppose.

"The second new moon is invisible to the eye." But just the SECOND new moon, right?

"Black Supermoon Coming This Week; What It Is And How You Can See It" You. Can't.

"For the first time in three years, a Black Moon will sail the skies above North America, tonight." Today. You spelled "today" wrong.