Just joined

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Bearcatrp

Just joined

Post by Bearcatrp »

Been on the skysearchers.com web site learning the basics, asking questions as I go. Wasn’t sure if any local clubs around St. Cloud area so Google fu brought me to this site. Glad to see this forum. Hope to learn allot from this forum. After comparing different telescopes, watching different you tube videos on the capabilities of certain telescopes, and asking questions on the other forum, decided to take the plunge and buy my 1st telescope. Being semi retired, always room for another hobby. After about 3 months of my research, went with a Meade STARNAVIGATOR NG 125MM MAKSUTOV telescope. Anyways, hello.
Meade StarNavigator NG 125mm Maksutov Telescope
rdavidjohnson63

Re: Just joined

Post by rdavidjohnson63 »

Welcome to the group. Once this COVID stuff is behind us, consider attending one of our monthly meetings. They usually have a very informative talk.

Also we have partnered with Cedar Creek Ecosystem Science Reserve, part of the U of M. We planed to have about a half dozen free public star parties there and hope to still be able to get some of them in. This is in East Bethel and is a lot closer to you than some of our other sites.
https://www.cedarcreek.umn.edu/

Enjoy the hobby and questions are always welcome.
Keyholder - ELO and JJC
Mentor - JJC
Celestron CPC 925
Celestron 8SE
Celestron CGEM II mount
Stellarvue SV105
Lunt LS60T Ha w/Sky-Watcher - SolarQuest Alt-Azimuth Solar Mount
Astro-Tech AT102ED
ZWO - ASI294MC Pro
Bearcatrp

Post by Bearcatrp »

Sounds like a plan. Would be nice to attend to meet folks in person to learn the hobby. Once I setup and try my telescope, am sure I will have a multitude of questions. Thanks for the invite.
Sureshks

Post by Sureshks »

Hello Bearcatrp,

Is this your real name? ;-)

Welcome to the MAS! I coordinator the Beginners Group activities. In normal times, we host monthly star parties at Metcalf Nature Center, near Afton.
I see that this is a bit a distance for you, coming from St. Cloud. But consider coming, as these events are a lot of fun. We keep these events very relaxed. People at all levels of interest and equipment come out, and we help people with setting up and learning their gear, learning the constellations, and of course, viewing the planets and deep sky objects that are visible at that time. I've been itching to resume these activities, and hopefully, we can get back outside very soon. I think your Meade 125mm Mak will be excellent for planetary viewing.

During the winter we have members come in to do presentations on a variety of topics, from imaging to observing, and from cosmology to learning about telescopes.

I hope to meet you at one of our B-SIG events this year... once they resume. :-)

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
setnes

Post by setnes »

The beginners group nights at Metcalf are an excellent way to get involved with the hobby. Another option for you might be to check out the group that holds public star parties at Glacial Lakes State Park. That might be an easier drive from St. Cloud.

http://www.glaciallakesastro.com/

Ideally you should do both. :)
Bearcatrp

Post by Bearcatrp »

Hopefully, Governor will release us from time out after the extended 2 weeks he just dropped on us. Will keep an eye on the forum for the next outdoor meet. Should have learned a little bit about my telescope by then. Appreciate the invites. Will be nice to meet fellow hobbyists to learn more.
zimitsj

Post by zimitsj »

Welcome aboard. You're in the right place; and the gentlemen who have already replied back are the right people to get you going in the right direction. I look forward to meeting you.

John
John Zimitsch
MAS Vice President 2022-Present
SCT: C8 Classic
Newts: 6” f/8 and f/4.2, both homemade
Bino: 15X70 SkyMaster on a homemade p-mount