Out side light issue

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Bearcatrp

Out side light issue

Post by Bearcatrp »

Telescope comes in monday, 3 days late. I have a great open area in my driveway. I live out in the country. BUT, I have a yard light on a telephone pole I cannot turn off. Will something like a umbrella to block the light work? Big piece of card board? Could move to the back side of my garage but my field of view will be 30% blocked. Temping to go to a baseball field up the road but not sure how the cops will take it when we are supposed to be home. Me being by myself, I don't see it as a problem since I will be alone. Suggestions?
Meade StarNavigator NG 125mm Maksutov Telescope
SEmert

Re: Out side light issue

Post by SEmert »

Ah, local light pollution! The major issue of observing from your own yard -or even nearby.

Yes, an umbrella or anything that works to block that light will be useful If you search on the Internet, you'll find some unique solutions, including making shields of PVC pipe and black poly plastic or tarp material. Anything that blocks the light will help.

If the yard light is your own, you could invest in an additional shield that you can put on the light to protect your eyes from it. If it's not yours, we often joke about using a 22 or BB gun, but that is a bit anti-social.

Just out of curiosity, what did you purchase for your new scope?

Also, right now we are just past the first quarter Moon, so the Moon itself provides significant light pollution itself. When your scope comes in, try for only the brightest objects - or the Moon itself - until around the third quarter when the Moon rises after Midnight.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
Bearcatrp

Post by Bearcatrp »

Purchased a Meade StarNavigator NG 125mm Maksutov Telescope for my 1st telescope. Took me a few months combing through forums, and videos on you tube to decide. Wanted to stay under $500 for my 1st telescope. Thanks for the information on the moon.
defalkner

Post by defalkner »

If the yard light is yours you could also see about getting an electrician to install a switch for you.
Clear skies!
Dave Falkner
10" Meade SNT
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 SCT
CGO Committee
MAS Secretary
Deane Clark

Post by Deane Clark »

defalkner wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:04 am If the yard light is yours you could also see about getting an electrician to install a switch for you.
This. You will not be happy with just a light block/shade.
Deane Clark
Eagle Lake Observatory keyholder
------------------------
I can quit any time I want. I just don't want to.
www.aponon.org
Dick Jacobson

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Several years ago I had an annoying street light near my observing site. I thought about making a simple light shield using a piece of plywood on the end of a long pole, but never did so. Instead, I switched the focuser of my Newtonian to the opposite side so the light was usually at my back when observing.

Maybe you could rig up a light shield based on a snow shovel with an extra-long handle and something to hang it over the light.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

Does the light have a light sensor to automatically switch it off during the day? If so, it is probably on top. If it were on the bottom it would probably sense the light and shut itself off. You might rig up a can with a LED light inside and use a pole or a drone to set it over the sensor to fool it into thinking it is daytime.

Years ago when I lived in Illinois there was a member of the local astronomy club who had a small ranch outside of town. The skies were fairly dark, except for a street light a half a block away. He found shining his green laser on the sensor mounted on the side of the light would shut the light off for a few minutes.
Bearcatrp

Post by Bearcatrp »

I tried a light last night on the sensor above the light. No luck. Going to get a laser to try. I have a red one I use to bore sight my rifles.