Collimating

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

Joesdob

Collimating

Post by Joesdob »

Hi I just recently joined the group. I have been into astronomy for quite some time and finally took the leap and purchased an Orion XT8 Dobsonian. I know collimating is a very important part of this and I was hoping I could bring it to someone and you teach me how to do it in person? The videos on YouTube can be confusing and after spending the money if someone would be willing to show me how it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance for your responses.
Clear Skies
SEmert

Re: Collimating

Post by SEmert »

Hi Joe, welcome to the group. I'm sure many of us can help out. I can volunteer, but I'm sort of on the wrong end of town for you (NE corner of the Cities, in White Bear Lake), so unless someone closes reaches out, just send me a PM and we can figure out when and where to link up.

Do you have any of the collimation tools yet? Typical you need a laser collimator, and a sight tube/cheshire is also good to have. Also, for the laser either one that has the Barlowed laser collimator adapter or if you have a Barlow lens that can be adapted to the purpose, a target mask can be made for essentially no cost. If the YouTube videos didn't point it out, Barlowed laser collimation increases accuracy of collimation using a laser collimator by a large percentage.
Steve Emert
MAS Membership Coordinator
12.5" f/4.7 Obsession Clone Homemade Truss Dob, sometimes equipped with Celestron StarSense Explorer app
Celestron C8 SCT OTA on AVX GEQ mount
Astro-Tech AT72 ED Refractor OTA usually on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 mount or tripod with Benro geared head
Celestron 5" SCT OTA on Explore Scientific Twilight 1 Alt-Az Mount, usually equipped with StarSense Explorer app
Orion 150mm Mak OTA and Orion EQ-G computerized mount
BradNasset

Post by BradNasset »

Welcome! Attached is a graphic I made some time ago that might help. Nothing to be afraid of.

Generally the secondary is pretty close when new. Here is a pretty basic method for the secondary: Get your eye in the center of the eyepiece hole, and see if the mirror looks centered. Often you might be able to see the three little clips holding the mirror in place. If in doubt just leave it alone- better to be close enough than mess it up. This is a bit trickier than the primary mirror- the three adjustment screws put pressure on a "center bolt" so if you loosen one screw you just need to tighten one or two of the other screws. (think of 1/8 turns or less for adjustments) The secondary mirror collimation is likely ok from factory. (Plenty good enough to get started)

Next, to collimate the primary mirror, point the scope at a bright star, and dial the star in and out of focus- back and forth. If the fuzzy bands around the star are oblong like an egg, loosen all three of the lock screws, then fiddle around adjusting the mirror (one screw at a time, maybe 1/8 or 1/4 turn) until the fuzzy rings are round and the star is in the center of a perfectly round donut. You are now collimated! Start low power, then go up a bit for fine tuning.

Steve has the real-deal plan, but this may get you started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brad Nasset
ELO, CGO Keyholder
Celestron Edge HD 8 inch, CGEM mount, with HyperStar system
Celestron C8 (Classic 1975 orange-tube), RA drive, equatorial wedge
Celestron 5 inch truss tube Newtonian, “Astronomers Without Borders” scope
3-D Printed 114/900 Reflector- homemade by me
Celestron 15x70 binocs, Homemade parallelogram binocs mount
Meade 10x52 binocs
Vixen 2.1 x 42 Binocs
Joesdob

Post by Joesdob »