New here

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

dberthia

New here

Post by dberthia »

Hello folks- New around here. I've had a love of astronomy ever since I was a kid back in the 1960's, but never had the means to really indulge myself until recently. I just purchased a Celestron Evolution 9.25" SCT & accessories, and have started learning the ropes. Will probably stick to observing for a while, as I understand this setup isn't great for astrophotography, even if I added an equatorial mount. I might still try to slap my Nikon D750 on there eventually just to see how it turns out, but it's not a priority.

Just arrived here today after a search for astronomy clubs in Minnesota. Thinking about kicking the tires on membership and maybe lurking around here for a bit. I live in Eagan. Have started reading some of the FAQs here to get the lay of the land. Just wanted to introduce myself and say "Hi".

- Dave
Celestron Nextstar Evolution 9.25" SCT Alt-Az Mount
Sureshks

Re: New here

Post by Sureshks »

Hello Dave,

Welcome to Minnesota, and welcome to the MAS! I coordinate our club's beginner program, and wanted to send you a note to say hello!

This time of year, the beginner group (aka B-SIG) has monthly observing events at our club's Metcalf Nature Center site just off of I-94 near Afton. It's geared towards helping beginners learn how to set up and use their own equipment, look thru members' scopes at various planets and deep-sky objects, and also learn the constellations and the nighttime sky. You do not need to be an MAS member to attend our B-SIG events.

With the virus happening, we're currently on hiatus. But I'm hoping that we can get the go-ahead soon to resume our activities. The next schedule observing event is set for June 6th... assuming that we get the all-clear. I too have the Celestron 9.25" SCT... so I should be able to help with any questions that you have. I hope to meet you soon!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
dberthia

Re: New here

Post by dberthia »

Thank you, Suresh! For the record, I've lived in the Twin Cities my entire life- just new to this forum. :D
Celestron Nextstar Evolution 9.25" SCT Alt-Az Mount