Holy Mongo Scope Batman!

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

borbital

Holy Mongo Scope Batman!

Post by borbital »

Ok, so I'm a complete rookie at this. And I was just looking at a basic scope to get started. I ended up getting a meade 2130at. It is not the short version. And even though I read all the dimensions, this is a monster! Have you guys ever gotten your scope in the mail and thought "Wow! umm..where's this gonna go?" To me, this is a freaking beast, and im sure to many of you this is like a pocket scope :P
Too many clouds to view yet, even thogh i did try! Assembly took like 10 minutes. Super easy..then i read directions and i did it right! 8)
oh yeah, that viewfinder tripped me out for a time too. everytning being completely reversed and all. moving it down and right to go up and left will take some getting used to.
I'll let you know what i can see..
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

If you're like the rest of us you will soon decide that the scope you bought is too small. I'm up to a 10" reflector on an equatorial mount that I can barely lift. Counter weights alone weigh 38 pounds.

Many of us (except Jon Hickman) get rid of the finder scope and purchase a Telrad finder instead. Much easier to use. You can find details on the internet by just searching for Telrad.

Nice meeting you!
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

rbubany wrote:Many of us (except Jon Hickman) get rid of the finder scope and purchase a Telrad finder instead. Much easier to use.
If you can see what you want to point at with no magnification... A finder adds magnification and with crosshairs is everybit as accurate (I still insist MORE accurate) than any of the 1x finders like Telrads... AND, is IMHO the EASIEST to use!! btw, got a Telrad, new in box, never used...batteries included....
Jon Hickman
rbubany

Post by rbubany »

But you have to install it upside down...

:lol:
Ron Bubany
Lazy amateur

Time and Space aren't what they seem
Just magical props in a magical dream
Jon Hickman
Site Admin

Post by Jon Hickman »

rbubany wrote:But you have to install it upside down...

:lol:
Nah, I just position the scope upside down....
Jon Hickman
Starforce2

Post by Starforce2 »

telrads are good for starhopping with hgue scoeps like the 24"...because u cans ee through it without needing to have you eye up there which in the case of the 24" usualy requires a ladder.
mlfj4901

Post by mlfj4901 »

Greetings,

I really enjoy having both.

I love my finderscope because it gives me a "binoculars" magnification when I want it, and can help fine tune the telescopes position.

I love my Telrad because it gets my scope pointed in the right direction and makes starhopping a lot easier.

I think the two compliment each other nicely.

-matt
"As a dog returns to it's vomit, so a fool repeats his folly" Proverbs 26:11
I podcast on Trans & Atheism issues Showpage is www.trans-atheist.net
iTunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/a-m ... d743314884
Stitcher http://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=40377&refid=stpr
or the podcatcher of your choice :)