This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

Hi All!

I recently decided to get back into astronomy. My new telescope arrives Tuesday (God and FedEx willing).

I heard about your organization and thought it would be fun to be able to connect with like minded locals.

My house was a bad location when I last looked through my old Meade 4" SC 20 years ago and it's only gotten worse with neighbor's tree growth. And I'm way too close to downtown. So I'm hoping to take advantage of some of the darker sky locations available to members.

Anyway, I'm really excited to get started!
Sureshks

Re: New Member

Post by Sureshks »

Hello Michael,

Welcome to the MAS!! Normally, I would point you to our Beginners group (the "BSIG). But with COVID, we haven't been able to hold our usual summer observing sessions at Metcalf Nature Center. We typically have 40-50 beginners out with their scopes, showing them how to use their equipment, and also how to navigate the night sky. I'm hoping that we can start them again soon...

For the time being, I invite you to attend the Public Nights at Eagle Lake Observatory (every other Saturday). I believe that, for the time being, they are limiting these to the first 15 people who sign up on the Forum. I'm not sure where the sign up is for the public events, but you can start here: viewforum.php?f=18

Also, as a member, you can also visit Eagle Lake Observatory on non-public nights. You'll need to sign up in advance for an "ISP" (impromptu star party) here, and attendance is limited to the first 15 who sign up on a given night:

Eagle Lake Observatory ISPs: viewforum.php?f=18

Finally, you can also visit our darker site at Cherry Grove Observatory, about 60 miles south of Minneapolis near Kenyon, MN. I believe there too attendance is presently limited to the first 15 persons who sign up for an "ISP" on the CGO Forum.

You can find the CGO ISPs here: viewforum.php?f=25

I hope to meet you sometime soon!

Suresh
Suresh Sreenivasan
B-SIG/FB/Metcalf Comm

Refr: AP 130mm GTX/SW 120mm/Borg 4"/Unitron 150 4"/Jason 2.25”
Dobs: ATM 16"/Orion 12”
Newts: Cave 8" RFT/Criterion RV6/Astroscan 4"/Orion 3.6" TCT
SNs: Meade 6"/Celestron 5.5"
SCTs: Celestron 9.25"/8”/B&L Criterion 4”
Maks: SW 7"/Quantum 4"/Meade 3.5” ETX
Cass: Vixen 8” VISAC/Simmons 4.5"
RC: MallinCam 10"
Sol: Lunt 80mm DS/PST
Bino: Vixen 12x80/Nikon 10x50
Mounts: CGX/EQ6r-Pro/AVX/GDPX/Porta II
FF2Rydia

Post by FF2Rydia »

Sureshks wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:12 pm For the time being, I invite you to attend the Public Nights at Eagle Lake Observatory (every other Saturday). I believe that, for the time being, they are limiting these to the first 15 people who sign up on the Forum. I'm not sure where the sign up is for the public events, but you can start here: viewforum.php?f=18
The reservation topics are on the MAS Star Parties and Events forum and the limit is the first 24 who sign up there. I think it's 30 total with 6 slots reserved for keyholders running the event, but that may not be accurate and 24 is the actual limit.
Kris Hultner
AAVSO observer HCKA
merle

Post by merle »

FYI - the event this Saturday, July 11, is full. Next event is Camping with the Stars July 24 & 25, where you need to register with the Baylor Park office.

Merle
Clear skies,
Merle Hiltner
MAS Eagle Lake Observatory
Onan Observatory • Sylvia A. Casby Observatory • HotSpot Classroom
merle.hiltner@gmail.com
mavraamides

Post by mavraamides »

Thanks! Still getting acclimated to my new equipment. Probably going to be a couple of weeks before I'm ready to go off site with it.