The challenges of being an amateur astronomer

This is the discussion forum for the Beginners Special Interest Group. Whether you just learned how to spell t-e-l-e-s-c-o-p-e or have years of observing experience you're welcome!

Moderators: defalkner, Sureshks, SEmert

pkarri

The challenges of being an amateur astronomer

Post by pkarri »

So this morning at around 5am I was setting up the MAS loaner SCT on my deck to observe Mars. I was using a red light while I was setting up the scope. My neighbor (whose TV I noticed was on) called the cops thinking I was a burglar. I was just switching eyepieces from 15mm to 9mm when two bright flashlights were shone in my face (from my own backyard, no less). I was surprised to say the least. I shielded my eyes and one of the officers asked me if I lived in the house and did I see any suspicious red light? I told them they were destroying my night vision and can they please shine the flash lights lower? They did, and after a bit of talking, I invited them over on to my deck and they both enjoyed views of Mars. I told them about MN Astro Soc. They asked me a few questions about magnification and such and off they went.

All's well that ends well.
Last edited by pkarri on Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Jacobson

Re: The challenges of being an amateur astronomer

Post by Dick Jacobson »

Anyone who is "lurking" at night (not driving a vehicle, that is) is likely to arouse suspicion. Many years ago I was stargazing at a public boat ramp on Mille Lacs where I often went because of a good dark sky view. A police officer stopped by. I'm sure he suspected me of illegal fishing. When I explained what I was doing he was very friendly and interested. Despite all the negative publicity, I believe most police officers genuinely enjoy helping people with their problems.
30-inch homemade Newtonian with periscope
20-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian with periscope
14-inch homemade equatorial Newtonian
10-inch Newtonian that folds flat
6-inch Russian Maksutov-Newtonian on Vixen equatorial mount
Too many small scopes and binoculars to mention
MarkC

Post by MarkC »

I've been questioned by the police twice over the years. Once was in a park (boat ramp) that was closed after dark, photographing an out of control {Japanese?) satellite. The 2 officers were very nice in asking what I was doing. The younger one wanted me to leave right away. The older one immediately said I should pack up after they leave (wink - wink). He then drove away and they didn't come back to check. The other time the officer asked about what I was doing and saw I was not a problem and left. Both times the officers were very nice.
wkocken

Post by wkocken »

I have been approached by police patrolling county parks. They're usually looking for kids who are looking to party. I'd rather a cop than unpredictable partiers any night. The police have always been friendly.
Bill Kocken
16" f4.5 - home built truss design
8"f6 home built dob
102f7 Explore Scientific APO with Ioptron ZEQ25GT mount
4.5 Orion Starblast
60mm Meade ETX
Homemade equatorial platform
w m kocken at gmail dot com
Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

Occasionally the parks have nocturnal visitors worse than party seekers. Thankfully the police patrols help keep the drug dealers, et al. from frequenting the parks more than they already do.

The only time I was ever stopped was in Virginia. I had just finished observing in a wild life area and was driving down the dirt road on my way out when I was pulled over. I explained that I had been star gazing. The officer shone his flashlight and saw the telescope in the back of my car. He explained they were keeping an eye on the area because of a rash of burglaries in nearby homes and then wished me a good evening.

I once heard of an amateur astronomer who set up his scope in a field adjacent to a small airport. Suddenly spotlights from a couple of cop cars lit him up and an officer shouted “Step away from the device!”
PWalsh

Post by PWalsh »

New guy here - but had to add in my experience.

Was out one night chasing pics of comet Neowise and then the Milky Way. Pulled onto a small gravel road just behind a cemetery and barely had my tripod setup for a shot when two sheriffs appear out of nowhere very curious who I was and just what I was doing. I invited them to come look at the back of my camera and see the pictures. The one was very interested, the other was very apprehensive. It helped the situation when I offered to load up the pictures and then step away from the camera so they could come see. We chatted and off they went.

It was that night I decided to buy a basic domain to use as a website for my photography. Not so much to sell prints but just to have a place to send people to prove I'm just out enjoying the skies and not trying to do anything to wild, crazy or dangerous.